Tuesday, September 13, 2011

Stir-Fried Romaine Lettuce Heart with Tofu


I prefer the romaine lettuce heart which sold three in a packet instead of the romaine lettuce sold individually.  I found it more suitable for stir-frying as it hold it's shape better and provided more crunch to the dish.  This veggie has to be cooked quickly to preserve the green color or else it will turn black and it will look unappetizing.


For vegetarian, just omit the dried small shrimps and add the tofu for protein.  You can also read more about dried small shrimps here.  It has calcium and magnesium which said to prevent osteoporosis, reduce blood cholesterol level, regulate the blood flow and help in hypertension.  We only use a little bit of this in each dish.



Ingredients:

  • 1 Romaine lettuce heart, washed and cut
  • 1.5 Tbsp. dried small shrimps, washed and drain (you can also use dried shrimps)
  • 3 cloves of garlic, slice
  • 1/2 block of firm tofu, cut
  • Oyster sauce to taste, about 1-2 Tbsp.

Method:

1.  Heat up your wok, when heated, add in some cooking oil.  When the oil is hot, add in the dried small shrimps, fry until crispy.  Half way through add in the garlic.

2.  When the dried small shrimps is crisp and the garlic is slightly golden, add in the romaine lettuce.  Quickly stir-fry it.  Add in the tofu and mix well.

3.  Add oyster sauce to taste.  Add a little water if you want.  Mix well and serve hot!

12 comments:

Alice said...

simple and yummy also healthy :)

Juliana said...

Ching, I too sometimes stir fry romaine lettuce...especially when I get a bag from Costco. Yours look delicious with dry shrimp and tofu...have to try this recipe.
Hope you are having a wonderful week :-)

tigerfish said...

I actually stir-fried romaine lettuce recently too (cos romaine lettuce was on sale and I did not want to have salad). Nice change from the usual veg.

ICook4Fun said...

The first time my hubby saw me cooking the romaine lettuce he thought I was crazy. To the western people all the lettuce is to be eaten raw as salad. I too like to stir-fry romaine with a bit of oyster sauce.

Sonia ~ Nasi Lemak Lover said...

something quick and delicious.

Jocie's Mom said...

Mmmm! I'd totally keep the small shrimps :) Looks delicious!

Smoky Wok (formerly Tastes of Home) said...

love easy and quick stir-frys like these!

Lilly said...

I love tofu! Can't believe I never used them for stir frying. Love your wonderful easy to make dish!

daphne said...

My grandmother uses the normal lettuce.. I didnt think of using romaine lettuce heart. NOW i know what to do with left over lettuce from my salads!! Throw it in stir fries!

pigpigscorner said...

I usually have this in salads, never tried stir-frying! Looks and sounds really simple!

Nava Krishnan said...

Like this veg dish of yours, perfect with white rice.

Unknown said...

that looks like a very healthy and yum salald