Friday, September 23, 2011

Korean Spicy Chicken/ Dak-Galbi


I didn't know what gotten into me, I just felt like having a Korean meal.  When I got that planned, I didn't know what I gotten myself into.  I made three out of four banchan (side dish) before and everything seem simple on the surface.  Only when I started working on it, only did I realize that it was actually quite a lot of work when making it all in a day, like slicing the Korean radish and scallions.  Then, the different methods of cooking the anchovies and bean sprouts.  Anyway, to cut it short, I spent the whole afternoon preparing and washing and ended with a sore back, that's mean I stood for too long.  Hahaha....  I have to admit, I like to take my time in the kitchen, that's why I cannot work in a restaurant setting, I would be so slow that all the customers would walk away and I would be left stressful. 

For the banchan recipes, I provided the links below:

Korean Scallion Salad (Pa-Muchim)

Mu- Saengchae (Spicy Korean Radish)

Myulchi Bokkeum (Stirfried Anchovies)

Mungbean Sprout MuChim/ SukJu MuChim 



Recipe inspired from a Korean Cookbook that I borrowed from the library.

Ingredients:

  • 1 skinless and boneless chicken breast, sliced thinly
  • 1 small carrot, julienned
  • 1/2 yellow onion, julienned
  • 2 scallions, cut into 2-inch pieces
  • 4 dried shiitake mushrooms, soaked in warm water until soften, drained, stems discarded and thinly sliced
  • 1 cup chicken stock or 1 cup water + 1 tsp. chicken powder
  • 1 Tbsp. toasted sesame seeds for garnish (optional)

Marinade:
  • 2 tsp. red pepper/chili powder
  • 2 Tbsp. red pepper paste (gochujang)
  • 1 1/2 Tbsp. minced garlic
  • 1- inch fresh ginger root, peeled and finely grated
  • 2 Tbsp. sugar
  • 2 Tbsp. mirin
  • 2 Tbsp. pure sesame oil
  • 1/4 tsp. black pepper

Method:

1.  In a glass bowl, add in chicken and the marinade.  Mix well, cover with cling wrap and let it marinate for at least 30 minutes in the refrigerator.

2.  Heat up your wok.  When heated, add in a little cooking with a dash of sesame oil.  When hot, add in the marinated chicken.  Stir well and try to cook the chicken.  Add in water and chicken powder, stir well.  Add in onion, carrot, mushrooms and scallions.  Mix and stir-well until everything is fully cooked and most liquid has been evaporated.

3.  Transfer to a plate and garnish with toasted sesame seeds.


16 comments:

Unknown said...

I've never had this but I want to. My mouth is watering this looks so good.

Belinda @zomppa said...

Great, now you planted the idea of a delicious Korean meal in my brain. Where can I come find you??

Tricia said...

Wow! What a delicious looking Korean Meal! Good job!!

Lilly said...

Your hard work truly paid off! All the dishes looked wonderful! The most dishes I put on my table is 3 and even that is more then plenty for 3 people. I don’t know how you finish all this, but it’s quite a party!

Unknown said...

If you want a recipe for Chuncheon dakkalbi, I have one! :)

Sonia ~ Nasi Lemak Lover said...

recently i started to like Korean foods especially BBQ, thinking to make those side dishes at home one day.Thanks for sharing.

Dwiana said...

Oh my goodness, you cook lots of food!! so delish.

The Experimental Cook said...

Everytime I invite my K-pop crazed teenager guests over, they will eat anything that comes with a Korean name. I have run out of ideas until I see this. Appreciate the pictures.

Ju (The Little Teochew) said...

That is a feast!

Cooking Gallery said...

What a great feast! I made something Korean too today, the famous Korean Fried Chicken :). I hope one day I can make a complete Korean meal like this too.

mjskit said...

Every single one of these recipes look awesome! I love Korean food, so thank you for posting these! Your photos are lovely.

Jayanthy Kumaran said...

absolutely lipsmacking..nice cliks..:)

Tasty Appetite

melonpan said...

wow wow wow that looking so tasty, wait i come to eat :-)
realy delicious! Nice! Now i am hungry^^

Little Corner of Mine said...

Thanks Michelle.

Hehe Belinda.

Thanks Tricia.

Thanks Lilly. I had bibimbap the next day. ;)

Tamar, now I know where to go if I want one. :)

You're welcome Sonia. I love Korean food too. :) More economical to cook at home.

Thanks dwidlebug.

You're welcome experimental cook. Haha...I understand what you meant.

Ju :)

Cooking Gallery, I made that too. :D

Thanks mjskit.

Thanks Jay.

Ha Melonpan, sorry for making you hungry. :P

Jerry Ko said...

Even though its only 2pm as of my time. I think I'm ready for dinner after reading your recipe post. The photos are stunning and the recipe sounds amazing. Thanks for sharing this post. Awesome Awesome post!

tigerfish said...

I agree with you. The prep usually takes a lot of time!