Friday, April 01, 2011

Myulchi Bokkeum (Stirfried Anchovies)


When I saw this recipe at Little Teochew's blog, I knew I had to try it.  I had this at a Korean's family house ages ago and really liked it.  However, I hardly get to eat this at the Korean restaurant here, granted I hardly go to the Korean restaurant, but the times that I did go, this side dish was not served.  This side dish was sold at the Korean market though but quite pricy.


It was sweet and spicy and if you eat it right away, the anchovies were crunchy.  However, if you kept it for later or kept it in the refrigerator, then the anchovies would turn soft.  I liked it better when the anchovies were still crunchy, then I got the crunchy, the spiciness from the gochujang (Korean hot pepper paste), and the sweetness from the honey and sugar.  Simply irresistible!!  Even both of my girls were enjoying this spicy snack!  With water alongside of course.




Recipe adapted from Maangchi and seen at Little Teochew.  I changed some of the method and used short-cut (buy bottle toasted sesame seeds).

Ingredients:

  • 1 cup of dried anchovies
  • 1/2 tsp. toasted sesame seeds (I used 2 tsp.)
  • 1 tsp. sesame oil

(A)
  • 1 Tbsp. brown sugar ( I used pure cane sugar)
  • 1/2 tsp. minced garlic
  • 1 Tbsp. gochujang
  • 1/2 Tbsp. corn syrup or honey (I used honey)
  • 4 tsp. water

Method:

1.  In a dinner plate, spread out the dried anchovies.  Spray the top with cooking spray.  Place in the microwave for 2 minutes or until the anchovies are toasted and crispy.

2.  In a small saucepan, add in (A).  Then put on the stove and stir until sugar, honey and gochujang are melted and thicken.  Turn the heat off and add in the anchovies.   Add in the sesame oil and toasted sesame seeds and mix well.  Serve right away if you like a crispy bite, serve later if you like it soft.

Note:  Can keep in the refrigerator for up to 2 weeks.  But for just 1 cup, it won't stay for more than a day.


14 comments:

hanushi said...

I also like this spicy and sweet Korean side dish. Definitely crunchy is the best... :) thanks for sharing...

Belinda @zomppa said...

I love these - always love the salty fishy flavor.

Torviewtoronto said...

anchovies flavourful and delicious

Unknown said...

Yum, that looks good.

Alice said...

looks so yummy! :)

daphne said...

It sounds really easy!! great side dish as well!

Anonymous said...

simple and delicious, salty sweet can never go wrong. =]

Smoky Wok (formerly Tastes of Home) said...

love thie easy and delicious banchan!

Jeannie said...

That looks crispy and delicious!

Min {Honest Vanilla} said...

I look forward to this dish too! It kinda reminds me of the Ikan Bilis in Nasi Lemak :) Except it has more dimension in taste :P Lovely post~

tigerfish said...

The Korean eateries I have been to in CA do not have this side dish. Of course, I have not been to a lot of Korean eateries :O

Little Corner of Mine said...

You're welcome hanushi. Good food is meant to be shared. :)

Me too Belinda.

I agreed torviewtoronto.

Thanks Joy. :)

Thanks Alice, try it! It's yummy.

Yup Daphne, I figure if I add some roasted peanuts will be great as a snack too. ;)

Thanks free spirit eater.

Thanks Jen.

Thanks Jeannie.

Thanks Min. When I first saw it, it reminded me of sambal ikan bilis too. :)

Thanks for the award muimui, will go check it out.

Haha Tigerfish. I just went to eat the Korean BBQ buffet yesterday and it had a different version of anchovies, also very good but a bit too salty. And then I went to H-mart (a big Korean supermarket) and found this and it was selling for $10.75 for about 1 cup of anchovies, so pricy!!

Unknown said...

Looks superb. Actually, I don't love how Korean dishes are more on the sweet side, as I like my savory things pretty salty...maybe I can add more salt/ soy sauce heeheh

Babe_KL said...

very addictive!!! great with beer :p