Friday, September 09, 2011

Braised Black Vinegar Chicken (红烧黑醋鸡)


I created this dish because I saw a Chinese food show that talked about the many benefits of consuming black vinegar. Black vinegar originated in China and then spread across Asia.  It is made from fermenting grains such as rice, barley, millet, wheat and sorghum.  My Chinese friend introduced me to Chinkiang black vinegar (鎮江香醋) which is made from fermented glutinous rice.  Black vinegar made from rice has a slightly sweet and more complicated flavor.  Chinese has been using it as a marinade, in braising, as dipping sauce and as a stir-frying sauce.  In Japan, a lighter version of black vinegar called "Kurozu" is bring sold as a health tonic.  One in eight Japanese drinks a small amount of black vinegar daily because of its health benefits.

So, what are the benefits and what's so great about black vinegar?  Black vinegar contains acetic acid which can prevent cardiovascular diseases, including hypertension (lower blood pressure), coronary heart disease and stroke.  It also contains citric acid which helps to increase body energy and metabolism.  It is high in antioxidants and contains many essential amino acids that help to repair muscle tissue, balance the body's pH level and to heal everyday ailments.

Since I am not sure I can drink this like the Japanese, but I can certainly use more of it in my cooking.  Now I am thinking is that why in Chinese confinement, we have a black vinegar pork knuckle soup for woman who just gave birth.  I drank bowl and bowl of this sweeten black vinegar soup during my confinement.  Anyway, how did you use your black vinegar?   I used it in my Bean Threads Noodle too.



Ingredients:

  • 8 chicken drumsticks, cut into pieces
  • 3 shallots, slice
  • 1 small piece of ginger, slice
  • 2 red bird eye chili, whole (use more if you want it spicier)
  • 3 green onion, cut into 1.5 inch
  • 10 Chinese dried mushrooms, soften in hot water and drain

Seasonings:
  • 2 Tbsp. Chinkiang black vinegar
  • 3 Tbsp. ABC sweet soy sauce
  • 1 Tbsp. light soy sauce
  • 1 tsp. sugar
  • 1/2 tsp. salt
  • 10 oz. water

  • 1 tsp. sesame oil
  • Oil for cooking

Method:

In a stock pot, add in cooking oil and sesame oil.  When hot, add in ginger, scallion, shallot, chili and fry until fragrant.  Add in drumsticks, stir a little.  Add in mushroom and mix well.  Add the water and seasonings.  Let it boil.  When boiling, turn the heat to low and let it simmer for about an hour or until the drumsticks are soft.

17 comments:

Miss B @ Everybody Eats Well in Flanders said...

Looks so wholesome and easy to make. Ingredients are quite simple, just lacking of black vinegar in my kitchen, otherwise I will make this dish today. Oh, you forgot to tag this under confinement food? :)

cheers
bee@EEWIF

Sonia ~ Nasi Lemak Lover said...

This sound delicious and healthy.

Food For Tots said...

Your dish look so appetizing! I totally have no idea how to use black vinegar. Hahaha!

Nava Krishnan said...

what a delicious soup with the black mushrooms inside.

Belinda @zomppa said...

The flavors sound wonderful - bet it's chock full of something-good-for-your-health in there too.

Kutin said...

This looks like a wonderful dish. I have never had black vinegar with chicken before. I am sure it will taste pretty good. Something different for me, but I will definitely tried it out. Thanks for sharing this recipe with us.

Liz That Skinny Chick Can Bake said...

Interesting information about black vinegar! Your chicken with mushrooms looks wonderful...and I bet it has an amazing flavor~

daphne said...

yum! My grandma makes the black vinegar pork trotters or sometimes with chicken..but i never knew the other health benefits other than it getting rid of "wind". I often not eat the pork trotters as I believe the fat outweighs the benefits! This post means we can still enjoy it with less fat and more of the health benefits!

Dwiana said...

I never pay attention of back vinegar, but I do now after reading your post!

Ling's Passion said...

I love this dish. The one I usually eat is cooked with pork. This is certainly a healthier version.

My Muffin Lab said...

This look like an easy and healthy dish. Can't wait to try this as I love black vinegar.

tigerfish said...

I used black vinegar with ground meat to create the vinegar-based noodle dish of Singapore. :p

Also the perfect condiment for fried wontons/gyoza.

Amelia said...

Look very delicious with black vinegar, yum yum

Rob @ How to Cook Hero said...

I'm very unsure about this, but isn't black vinegar primarily cosmetic?

I mean, how many of it's qualities are actually not present in other kinds of more traditional vinegar?

Little Corner of Mine said...

Hi Rob, to me all vinegars have health benefits. Just that black vinegar is made from rice and widely used by Asian and more suitable for Asian cooking like braising, as dipping sauce, etc.

Miss B @ Everybody Eats Well in Flanders said...

I cooked this yesterday, following exactly the same steps except that i reduced 3 tbsp to 2 tbsp of sweet soya sauce, and I used the water used to soak the shitake mushrooms for the 10 oz water. It gave the gravy an extra flavour, and the gravy is finger licking good. Too bad I dun have a pic to show. Thanks for the recipe! :p

cheers
bee@EEWIF

Little Corner of Mine said...

Thanks for your feedback Bee and glad you liked it. :)