Friday, July 27, 2007

Bean Threads Noodle



I would love to introduce my readers to this bean threads noodle. It was made with mung bean starch, potato starch and water. It tasted a lot like the Korean Jap Chai noodle (made with sweet potato starch) with the chewy texture and transparent look. This noodle was introduced to me by my Chinese neighbor and I have since hooked. This is good serving it cold, in soup or stir-fry. I haven't tried it in soup yet because I like to serve it cold with fresh vegetable.



Method:

1) You need to boil the noodle until cooked. Set aside.

2) Then, stir-fry the chicken or pork (marinated with soy sauce, pepper, sesame oil) with garlic & carrots until cooked, dish out and set aside.

3) Thinly sliced the seedless cucumber, lettuce and prepared the cilantro.

4) In a big bowl, add in noodle, fresh veggies (3) and (2), mix well. Then seasoned to taste with soy sauce, Chinese black vinegar, salt, sugar and sesame oil. Toast well.

5) Garnished with toasted sesame seeds. Serve as is.


This is how the package looks like. Of course other brand works fine too.

14 comments:

SteamyKitchen said...

i love mung bean noodles too. fried some for the lettuce cups and then last night boiled for soup noodles!

Anonymous said...

Wanted to try but didn't knw how to mk it...now I can try making it with yr recipe....cetainly nice during hot summers! Tks.

WokandSpoon said...

Hmm, I don't think I've tried these noodles before. I'll have to look out for them in the shop the next time I go. Your dish looks lovely and healthy topped with all those veggies!

East Meets West Kitchen said...

Very nice photo! Btw, did you purchase the noodle from H-mart?

Little Corner of Mine said...

SteamyKitchen,
I haven't tried it in soup yet. How did you cook it? Are you going to post your recipe in your blog?

VB,
Now you can! :)

WokandSpoon,
Thanks, oh yeah the Chinese also added the fresh seaweed in this noodle! Very good too, chewy and crunchy at the same time. LOL!

V,
Thanks! No, I bought this at VH because I was there. But you can get it at PO too. It's a Chinese noodle so it's widely available in a Chinese supermarket.

Anonymous said...

Dear Little Corner of Mine,
My good friend introduced me to this type of noodles not long ago.

I love the texture on this noodle.

Anonymous said...

I wonder if I've seen this...hmmm...
tt's really a nice refreshing dish :)

Anonymous said...

Hi Ching
oooh, looks delicious. I'm a big fan of Jap Chae too, so I think I will like this noodle as well. One question, does it stick together when it's cooled? I will look out for it the next time I'm in the Asian market. BTW, I thot I will tell you that my tau-gay is growing quite well. Can't wait for them to be fully grown to make my chai tow kway... :-)
Tatiana

Little Corner of Mine said...

Hi Lee Ping,
Very nice hor? I just bought another pack yesterday! :)

Hi Tigerfish,
What is tt's means huh? Cannot read short-form leh. :P It's indeed is refreshing with the cold noodle and fresh veggies, try it!

Hi Tatiana,
Glad to hear that your taugay is growing well! :)

To me, this noodle tastes better than Jap Chae! It won't stick together and it won't turn mushy if you cook it for too long. So, I eat this instead. Hehe..

Home Cooking said...

its made from mung bean? cool! let see if i can find any here

Anonymous said...

Ching, share with you an interesting trick to make your noodles more flavour without adding too much seasoning. boil the raw noodles in chicken stock or prawn stock..it will absorb all the flavours of the stock. This is how I cook my fried bee hoon too.

Little Corner of Mine said...

ISha,
Yes! Healthier right? Go look for it!

Gina,
Thanks for your tips! :)
But I sayang the chicken stock leh. Do you throw the leftover chicken stock away or you make soup with it?

Anonymous said...

Ching, you won't have much left after boiling the noodle. it absorbs much of it. I found out about this tip thru my hubby. there is a friend Hokkien mee stall in Singapore that cooks the noodle by boiling the raw noodles in prawn stock..delicious!

Little Corner of Mine said...

Gina,
Thanks! Will try it with chicken stock made with chicken stock granules, hehe...definitely not my homemade chicken stock that have been cooking for hours. :P

Even soaking my noodle with this instant chicken stock too, definitely will give it an extra kick. Thanks!