Monday, May 28, 2012

Seaweed Salad (Miyeok Muchim)


I took out too much of the seaweed for my seaweed gochujang soup, so the best way to use up all the seaweed is to make it into salad.  I had a similar seaweed salad with cucumber and thought it was really refreshing.  My girls loved seaweed so they helped me finished this except the onion, the raw onion was just too pungent for them.  Not only for them but for me as well but since I was raised not to waste food, I had to finish all the onion.  You can omit the onion if you want.  I did another version here which uses sesame paste and sesame oil which we liked better.



Ingredients:

  • Dried seaweed, soak in cold water, when soften, washed and dried, about 1 bowl
  • 1/3 English cucumber, cored and cut into thin strips
  • 1/2 carrot, sliced into thin strips
  • 1/2 small onion, thinly sliced (use white onion)
  • 2 Tbsp. apple cider vinegar
  • 2 Tbsp. granulated cane sugar
  • Pinch of salt
  • Toasted sesame seeds to suit


Method:

1.  Par-boil and cut the seaweed into 1-inch pieces.  Place in a glass bowl.

2.  Add the cut cucumber, onion and carrot into the same seaweed bowl.

3.  In another bowl, add in vinegar, sugar and salt, stir to melt the sugar.

4.  Pour the vinegar mixture into the seaweed mixture.  Stir to blend well.

5.  Add toasted sesame seeds to serve.

7 comments:

daphne said...

So quick and easy! I never thought of using this in a salad;) good tip.

Nava K said...

Wasting food is a big no no for me and just like your daughters I adore seaweed. As always said, pickles are my fav and if can, I will have a bit everday with my rice. Its like an appetite booster for me because sometimes I don't feel hungry at all.

Simple yet lovely and one more for me to try out soon.

Inspired by eRecipeCards said...

Some of my favorite things are what I call "Use Up" recipes... Using what's in the pantry is challenging, occasionally surprising and economical. Love the bright colors and the sesame at the end is a nice touch. Thanks for sharing

Dave at eRecipeCards

tigerfish said...

Raw onions are too pungent and strong for me too! This is healthy summer salad.

Unknown said...

waaa seems so fresh!

Retno Prihadana said...

Is seaweed and nori similar? I just know Nori for sushi.

Noob Cook said...

This is a very healthy soup, someone told me that seaweed is slimming, so I love it even more! :p