Sunday, May 13, 2012

Pear, Carrot & Onion Soup


Pear is a cooling food and usually in Chinese cooking, they used Asian pear to make tonic soup.  But for me, I find that the Bosc pear resembled Asian pear the closest as it is crunchy, sweet and juicy and I loved to use it as a substitute.  This soup is made without chicken bone/ drumstick/ pork bone so it is a healthier version without the grease.

Since it is a cooling soup, it's suitable for people who feel heaty or have a cough.  As it is good for soothing the lungs.






Ingredients:

  • 2 Bosc. Pears (or Asian pears), quartered
  • 2 big carrots, diagonally sliced
  • 1 onion, half
  • 10 red dates (remove seeds), rinsed
  • 2 Tbsp. goji berries/ wolf berries, rinsed
  • 1.25 l water

Method:

Put all ingredients into a slow cooker, turn it on to High.  Leave it and forget it until 4 hours later.  You can drink it as it or season with 1/4 tsp. salt.  Serve!



11 comments:

tigerfish said...

Will keep this in mind for summer :)

WendyinKK said...

Bosc pears are very expensive here.
Being the cheapskate me, I always buy the cheap duck pears for cooking.
:)

daphne said...

you taught me something new again! using pears in soup. Got to try this one out one day.

Kit @ i-lostinausten said...

Wow! Interesting recipe! Never thought that we can cook soup with pears! Amazing! Will try this soup recipe & thanks for sharing! Have a lovely day! :)

Nava K said...

Just as I was cracking my head on what type of Chinese soup should I make tomorrow, here your post came just in time. This is so cooling and now that we are dying of the burning weather, the chilled bowl of this soup will be perfect.

Noob Cook said...

pears are soothing for the throat. I usually add pork ribs to pear soup to make it sweet, coz I don't stew for 4 hours hehehe

Retno Prihadana said...

It sounds interesting, pear can also be added to the soup. Thank for sharing.

Juliana said...

I knew about pear and cooling, but never in soup like this...awesome since there are lots of pears in the stores now :)
Thanks for the recipe and hope you are having a wonderful week!

Quay Po Cooks said...

I love clear soup and this one is one of my favorites.

My Asian Kitchen said...

my friend always told me to use pear ,winter melon,rock sugar,red dates and meon seeds to make dessert soup ..she said it's good for coughing!

Lisa said...

Didn't think to try this combination in a soup! Looks delicious!