Wednesday, May 02, 2012

Meatless Monday Dinner


I am really trying to eat healthy and prepare healthy and nutritious food for my family.  So recently I started meatless Monday and Thursday meals.  I started cooking meatless meals twice a week, the rest would be fish (twice a week) or white meat chicken.  We eat out on Sat. and Sunday so I am more lenient on the choices.

Meatless meals can be satisfying as well as delicious.  So try it!




The above picture is one of my meatless meals that I prepared at home.   I have green bean in homemade sambal, stir-fried carrot (recipe coming up next), Crimini mushrooms and black, brown, barley and millet rice.  Other time I would add tofu, eggs or bean for the protein.  Or pair it with miso tofu seaweed soup or anchovies seaweed eggs soup or other kind of vegetable soup.  What meatless dish did you cook for your family?

13 comments:

Retno Prihadana said...

Vegetarian menu :). I love mushrooms, also tofu and tempe. I think it can be used as alternative healthy dishes to substitute meat

Miss Hangrypants said...

A lot of korean soups are vegetarian and meatless! Also many banchans.

Sometimes meatless dishes can taste hearty and meaty, like beets and portabello mushroom burger!
Hope to make a beet burger soon

Mabel
@ mdcooksfor2.blogspot.com

tigerfish said...

I cook meatless meals just like you! :D Many times, stir-fry vegetables as sides + congee. Other times, will be meatless one-dish noodles (all the vegetables + mushrooms) go into the noodles. When not meatless, I also try to cook either fish or chicken.

Little Corner of Mine said...

It definitely can Retno. I am trying to add tempeh into our diet too but tempeh is not cheap here.

Mabel, have not try beet. But I have seen many people use beet in their juice. So, beet must be a healthy veggie.

Tigerfish, good for us! :) I am planning to do more meatless meals these days and start juicing! Need to put my juicer to work again.

Sonia ~ Nasi Lemak Lover said...

Yes, vegetarian dishes can be very nice, I also try to have one vegetarian meal once in a week.

Jin Hooi said...

ohh.. well done!!I love vegetarian dishes!! But I am not sure if Steve will be very happy with me cooking vegetarian dish for him ;-))

Cass @ 揾到食 said...

How i wish can have a meatless meal for my family every week. But my husband and mil are meat lovers :(
They just can't live without meat!

daphne said...

I agree! So much easier to think and plan when it is one day a week as well! It looks like a FEAST!

Quay Po Cooks said...

There are days that I want to go vegetarian as well. This will be perfect.

Juliana said...

Great meal...I am trying to have meals without meat...and yours sure look very tasting :)
Hope you are having a great week!

Noob Cook said...

I'm not sure why but I usually cook western dishes for meatless meals like baked mushrooms and veggie pasta. I love your healthy family menu.

Bubbe Bites said...

What a wonderful healthy meal. It is always good to go meatless at least once a week. You are ahead of the game.

Amy said...

I love your meatless Monday recipes. :) I do meatless meals 1 to 2 nights a week and always look for new things to try. :) Thanks for sharing yours.