Saturday, June 16, 2007

New Product Testing

I decided to give this ChanHong Penang Assam Laksa Instant Sauce a test run when I couldn't find Hup Loong brand assam laksa in the Denver Asian store that used to sell it. So, desperate need calls for desperate measure and I was glad that I saw this at mytasteofasia.com.



I was quite skeptical at first because looked at the picture at the packet, it looked more like a curry laksa instead of assam laksa. And there was no review written on it. But my love for Penang assam laksa prompted me to buy one packet and try it. Desperate need mah!



I am so glad that I gave this a try. This is simply delicious and way better than the Hup Loong brand spices. For the Hup Loong brand, we need to add a lot of extra ingredients to make it good. Whereas, with this brand, the flavor and taste are there, all we need just some lime juice and lots of shrimp paste. So good! I strongly recommended this! :)



What I add, yields 3 bowls:

900ml water
1 packet of the paste
1 999 brand 15oz (425 gm) tomato sardine with half canned of tomato sauce
lime juice to taste
shrimp paste to taste (Hae Kor)

You don't have to add chili padi for this because it's spicy enough. As for the garnishes, it's the norm, shredded cucumber, red onion and pineapple. If you grow your own mint leaves in the house, use that as well. As for me, see no mint leaves because I was unwilling to pay $2.95 for a small packet of mint!!

If you can find this in the store where you live, grab it! If not, you can also order from Ray like me. Hehe...

16 comments:

Anonymous said...

I think my better half would faint if I eat Penang laksa at home. The last time I cooked something with balachan, the house smells of it that I had to spray airfreshner before he came back. hahaha

Lee Ping said...

Dear Little Corner of Mine,

Someone left a comment in my Malaysian Food page. I was asked about buying Sambal Belachan online in US. I redirected them to your blog. Hope you don't mind.

Little Corner of Mine said...

Cooking ninja,
LOL! Yeah the house will surely smell when cooking this! :D

Lee Ping,
I don't mind at all since I have a few M'sian online stores listed. :)

Anonymous said...

Though I seldom have Assam Laksa back home, you make me miss it and crave of it leh! Hup Loong brand good arh-dunno if my asian supermart in CA carries this brand.

Little Corner of Mine said...

Tigerfish,
This ChanHong brand is better. The Hup Loong one (comes in powder form) is tasteless if you follow the instruction at the back. Need to add a lot of extra ingredients to make it good. If you can find the ChanHong brand (comes in rempah/paste), I would recommend this instead. :)

cocoa said...

Interesting.. I always used hup loong as well and i always add more stuff i can get here to made it taste better. Need to try this for sure. Is this product of Malaysia too?

Lee Ping said...

Dear Little Corner of Mine,

I noticed that there are a few changes in your template. I like your food banner. Will you be changing the photos regularly to highlight your latest creation?

Also, I think 3 columns will look good for your blog as well. I think Rasa Malaysia has 3 columns on her blog. My 2 cents, hope you don't mind...

East Meets West Kitchen said...

Hey, you changed the look of your blog. Nice!

Little Corner of Mine said...

Hi Cocoa,
Yes, this is a product of Malaysia. Do give this a try, the flavor is very authentic. :)

Hi Lee Ping,
I don't mind at all. Just that I don't know how to create a template. I just used the ready made one provided by blogger and all it has is two columns. Furthermore, I don't have things to put on the other column leh.

Thanks, but I won't be changing my food banner, where got so much time to change it every time? LOL!

Thanks V! Decided to give it a more personal touch. Hehe..

Home Cooking said...

looks so yummy :)

Little Corner of Mine said...

Thanks i sha! And thanks for stopping by. :)

Baking Fiend said...

i wonder if they sell this paste in sg... yr laksa looks really really good, making me so hungry now!

Little Corner of Mine said...

baking fiend,
I do hope you can find it. If not, next time when you are in M'sia, keep an eye out for it because it's really really good leh.

Anonymous said...

Wow...the chef said this paste is good..then it must be GOOD lah! muhahahha

Seriously, all ChanHong and Tean's Gourmet products (all from Msia) are good and customers usually helped empty our stocks fast!

THanks Chef Little Corner of Mine for your review! :)

Ray
myTasteOfAsia.com

Anonymous said...

Another site with a lot of interesting Malaysian groceries is www.asiansupermarket365.om

Chloe said...

Hi Little Corner of Mine,

You have a wonderful "FOOD" blog! I love it. I just got this Asam Laksa package from New York, not try out yet! Will go ahead make it this coming Friday.

By the way, I am from Longmont, about 1 hour drive north of Denver. We have some Chinese Malaysian staying in this small town. Very well, keep doing this good job : ).

I just started a recipes collection blog, if you don't mine, we can exchange our URL and post on blog list.

http://chloerecipe.blogspot.com/