Tuesday, August 29, 2006

Rempah Udang

This is my favorite kuih in M'sia. I have been wanting to make this kuih for years, but just never got to. Why I finally made it you asked?

Because I made some sambal haebee two days ago and I have the frozen shredded coconut and banana leaves in the freezer just ready for me to use. So, why not just make it and satisfy my craving. So, here it is! :)


This is my short-cut filling. I used my sambal haebee, added the toasted shredded coconut and some coriander powder, pan-fry to mix well.



Steamed my glutinous rice with coconut milk and a little salt.



Wrapped in banana leaves and stapled it. Pan-fried in greased non-stick pan until toasted and fragrant.



Finished product!



Closed up of what the inside looks like! A bit spicy because of my spicy sambal haebee. :P





Rempah Udang Recipe from At Home with Amy Beh Cookbook
--------------------------------------------------------------------------
100g small prawns, shelled
100g grated white coconut, roasted and ground
1-2 Tbp. oil

Blend spices:
4 shallots
2 cloves garlic
1 lemon grass, finely sliced
1 candlenut
1.5cm cekor
1/2 tsp. chilli paste
1 tsp. coriander powder

Seasoning:
1/4 tsp. salt
1/2 tsp. sugar
Dash of pepper

Rice Mixture:
300g glutinous rice, washed and soaked overnight
1 1/2 cups thin coconut milk
1 tsp. salt
1 tsp. sugar

2 banana leaves, scalded, wiped dry, and cut into 15x8cm pieces

Method:

Chop prawns finely. Heat oil in a kuali and fry ground ingredients mixed with chilli paste and coriander powder until fragrant. Add prawns and stir fry till cooked. Mix in roasted coconut and seasoning. Stir well until ingredietns become dry and golden brown. Set aside.

Combine glutinous rice with coconut milk, salt and sugar, steam for 25-30 minutes or until cooked. Remove from steamer and leave to cool.

Take a tablespoonful of the cooked glutinous rice and spread it thinly in the centre of a banana leaf. Add 1 tablespoon of filling over. Top with another tablespoon of rice. Roll up neatly and secure ends with toothpick or staples. Brush rolls with a little cooking oil. Grill for about 15 minutes. Turn the rolls round occasionally.

Note:
Sorry I thought the recipe in her cookbook will be in kuali.com. Since it's not, I typed it here for those who requested. But bear in mind, I didn't use her recipe, but her recipe is a guide for those who wants to make it.

17 comments:

Gracio said...

ching, I must say that Im very amazed at your hardworking-ness esp when u're pregnant! If Im u, i think i would be a couch potato everyday...


U're a great mum who's a great cook too!:)Cheers!

karlsfoodie said...

HI Ching.. I love to eat this kueh too.. can u post the recipe please? thanx alot

Anonymous said...

yum..that looks so good, I hardly eat kuihs like that even tho when I was in SG, I should find some time to make kuihs again!

Edith said...

aiyo, this looks soooo good. my hubby sure drools. must try one of these days.

diddy said...

looks tempting! I have 1/2 bottle of coconut milk sitting in my fridge! Thanks for the idea!

Gracio said...

Ching, me have tagged u for a MeMe! Have fun! :)

Unknown said...

Ching,

Such well-made kuih! Makes me wanna make some too!

Little Corner of Mine said...

Thank you ladies! :)

Karlfoodies, I already described how I made mine on here, sorry no exact recipe because all based on agaration. You can get the recipe at kuali.com though.

Gracio, will check what your meme is.

Pei, I pan fried mine.

LittleHands said...

Wow! This kuih looks so good, Ching. I'm definitely taking the next plane out to visit you, kekeke...

Anonymous said...

Hi Sorry I am also very interested in the recipe but can't find in kuali.com. Perhaps you can post the link here. Thanks!

Anonymous said...

My God, this looks so delicious!

Little Corner of Mine said...

Thanks littlehands and Juei!

Jo, Shirley and Anon,
Recipe posted!

Sophia said...

Hello,

This one I must try but may i know what is cekor?

Cheers

Sophia

Little Corner of Mine said...

Hi Sophia,

I don't know what is cekor also since I used my short-cut recipe instead of Amy Beh. But I asked my good friend Lily and this is the direct quote from her.

"cekur is 'sah keong' in cantonese. it is available dried from the chinese med shop in malaysia and singapore. the fresh ones are quite difficult to grow even in the tropics.

cekur has a very distinct fragrance and is usually found in nyonya recipes like nyonya chang and hong bak."

My short-cut method is mentioned in the post with my sambal harbee link.

Selba said...

Hi... I watched "little nyonya" and got interested to learn about rempah udang :)

Miss B @ Everybody Eats Well in Flanders said...

Hi Ching

When you pan-fry this rempah udang, roughly how long did it take, and was it over low, medium or high heat?

Thanks
bee @EEWIF

Little Corner of Mine said...

Hi Bee, I think it's medium heat so that you won't burn the chili paste. I forgot how long, just fry until dryer and paste like.