Thursday, January 09, 2014

Homemade Salted Chicken Eggs


This is just a spur of the moment thingy as I don't normally consume salted eggs in any kind, no salted duck egg unless in a mooncake and I don't buy salted eggs.  I made this because I had lots of eggs in my refrigerator, bought too much because I couldn't pass up on a deal.  So, I had to preserve some and this was what I could think of at that time.

It is so easy to make your own salted eggs, after that you just have to wait for a month before you can enjoy it.

 
 Day 1

 Recipe adapted from Christine's Recipe, with modification.

Ingredients:

6 large organic cage-free brown eggs
1/2 cup salt
2 cups water
1/2 Tbsp. ShaoXing wine

Method:

Add water in a medium saucepan, add in salt and let it boil.  Stir until salt is completely dissolved.  Let cool completely.  When cooled, add in the ShaoXing wine, stir.  Put the eggs in a glass bottle.  Pour the salted water into the glass bottle until it is completely covered the eggs.  All eggs should submerse in the solution.  Close the lid and put it in a cool dark room (my pantry) for 30 days.  After 30 days, take one out and boil it to check for doneness and whether it's salty enough.  If not, check again in 40 days.

When it is done, you can boil all the eggs (as you would normally do with the hard boiled eggs) and then keep refrigerated.  Should last up to a month.  It would not last as long in the fridge if you don't hard boil it first.

Update:  After one month, I took it out and boiled it.  I keep it refrigerated.  When I shelled it, my yolk was the same yellow color, it didn't turn bright orange.  

9 comments:

tigerfish said...

You said the color of the yolk remained the same. HOw about the taste? I don't think I have tried salted chicken eggs before.

Peng said...

I'm planning to make this too! Will see mine will turn out orangy or not ;)

Little Corner of Mine said...

Tigerfish,
The taste is salty, just like a salted egg. Just the color of the yolk didn't change much. I used the Simply Balanced Organic Eggs from Super Target, which came with pale yellow color yolk. If I do make it again, will use a more orange color yolk eggs.

Hi Peng, cool! Would love to know whether your yolk color turns orangy or not. :)

WokandSpoon said...

I've only ever had salted duck eggs. For some reason, I thought you had to bury the eggs in salt...guess that doesn't make much sense :-)

So you have to boil the eggs first then boil again when it's 'done'?

Little Corner of Mine said...

No WokandSpoon, you only boil it after 30 days. ;)

WokandSpoon said...

Ah - I didn't read properly. :-)

Noob Cook said...

actually I like preserved eggs. I think they are much healthier when home-made (no weird ingredients).

Peng said...

Hi, I harvested my salted egg and it turn out well, orangy!

Little Corner of Mine said...

Hi Peng,
Cool! Good for you. I might want to try it again with a more orangy color yolk eggs.