Wednesday, January 29, 2014

Crispy Almond Cookies


Wow, how time flies!  Another Chinese Lunar New Year to be celebrated and this year is the year of the Horse!  I just realized that I have been blogging for the past 9 years and next year will be my 10 years anniversary!!  WOW!  My blog is getting old and hopefully I am not.  Haha... I really have to thank my readers who have supported my blog and who have come back to read my blog over the years even though I am not a good writer and I don't take beautiful pictures.   Nothing seem to change much over the years blogging wise, except I am now into a healthier eating life style and even simplified cooking method and recipes.  Also just to let you know that you can also follow me on Tweeter, Pinterest and Facebook for the latest blog update.  I hope after so many years, I still have more new recipes to share with you.  Okay long story short, hereby wishing all of you a healthy new year!  Eat healthier, eat healthy, eat more colorful food, eat more variety of superfood, eat more whole fresh food, cut down and minimize processed food and exercise for a HEALTHIER YOU!!  Money is nothing without health, so work on your health first and the rest will come into place.  HAPPY CHINESE LUNAR NEW YEAR!!!


As the name implied, this almond cookie is crispy!  I always made the melt-in-the-mouth peanut/cashew/almond cookies in the past and I wanted a change.  This year I wanted some crispy almond cookies, so I created this recipe.  This was actually my second attempt, my first attempt failed miserably resulted in a soft and melt-in-the-mouth almond cookies (so not sharing my failed attempt here).  I also wanted this recipe to be easily made (as I am famous for!), so out with my food processor!!  You can use your Kitchenaid mixer as a substitute.  Just add and mix and viola and not many things to wash later too.  Very easy and the dough can be easily shape and cut as well.  I didn't even use a roller to roll the dough, I just flatten it with my palms, but if you want an even shape, use your roller!  ;-)



Ingredients:

(A)
3/4 cup self-raising flour
3/4 cup almond meal (ground almond) (can substitute with ground peanut/ground cashew for different cookies)
1/2 cup icing sugar/ powder sugar

(B)
1 stick of butter (113g or 1/2 cup), soften
1 Tbsp. almond milk (or milk)
1 tsp. pure vanilla extract
1/2 tsp. pure almond extract
1/4 tsp. sea salt

Method:

1.  In a food processor, add in (A).  Pulse to mix.

2. Add in (B) and pulse until a dough is formed.

3.  Flour your work surface, add in the dough and give it a few kneads.  Roll it into 1cm thick and cut it with a cookie cutter (I used a flower shape, you can use whatever shape you like).  Place on a parchment lined baking sheet, finish the rest, re-roll and cut again until done.

4.  Preheat oven to 350'F.  Bake on middle rack for 15 minutes.  Cool on wire rack completely before storing in an air-tight container.

~Makes about 50+  pieces.

5 comments:

Veronica said...

Happy 10th Anniversary! Wishing you a very happy and prosperous Chinese New Year.

WokandSpoon said...

Have a very happy and prosperous new year! Wow - nearly 10 years! That's a milestone :) I still love coming back here and reading about your cooking adventures and recipes!

tigerfish said...

I have also been blogging for some time and blog-wise, nothing much has changed but gradually, I have given more thought to the food we eat. :)

Happy Lunar New Year to you and your family.

PH said...

Love cookies and I adore these crunchy ones! Wishing you and your family Gong Xi Fa Cai!

Sonia ~ Nasi Lemak Lover said...

Wishing you a Happy Lunar New Year!