Sunday, October 28, 2007

Stir-fry Lotus Root with Snow Peas & Ground Pork


What did I do with the extra lotus root?

I have been seeing stir-fry lotus root in some food blogs and thus I was thinking why not? The above was the first for me because I mainly bought it to make soup. Coincidentally I also bought some snow peas and had some marinated ground pork at home, so why not? The one fool proof way of cooking this will be using oyster sauce, can't go wrong with this and I didn't want to be too adventurous for my first time trying a new dish (shush...picky eater hubby here!).

Verdict: The lotus root is crunchy and actually quite tasty.

I would also like to thanks my girlfriend V at East Meets West Kitchen for awarding me with this Schmooze Award. Not sure whether I have done enough schmooze, but I gladly accept any award throw at me! LOL!


" The POWER OF SCHMOOZE AWARD is the award for bloggers who effortlessly weave their way in and out of the blogosphere, leaving friendly trails and smiles, happily making new friends along the way. They don't limit their visits only to the rich and successful, but spend some time to say hello to new blogs as well. They are the ones who engage others in meaningful conversations, refusing to let it end at a mere hello - all the while fostering a sense of closeness and friendship." and so I would like to pass this award to:
More than Words
Kooky Culinary
Food Lover's Journey
Daily Affairs




Ingredients:

Lotus root, shaved the lotus root clean from the brown spot. Sliced thinly. (soak in water/ vinegar water to prevent it from turning black)
2 cloves of garlics, chopped
2 slices of ginger
1 cup of ground pork
Handful of snow peas, washed

Sauce: oyster sauce, sweet dark soy sauce and sesame oil.

Method:

1. Heat oil, add in ginger, fry til fragrant. Add in ground pork, fry til no longer pink. Add in garlic, fry til slightly brown and add in the lotus root. Fry til you think the lotus roots are cooked.

2. Add in the snow peas. Add in a little water and stir-fry until you think the snow peas are cooked. Add in sauce and mix and stir-well. Dish out and serve.

22 comments:

SIG said...

Awww... thank you dear. So sweet of you. :) I agree you deserve it.

SIG said...

Oh, by the way, the stir fry looks good. I have not used it in any other way than for soup. Good idea.

Anonymous said...

Cooking and Kitchen Tips & Hints
^_^
cooking tips

Indonesia Eats said...

Ahhh this afternoon, I went to the oriental store, I forgot to buy lotus root. I was planning to make your lotus root soup with chicken feet :)

Anonymous said...

You deserve the award!

I agree. Oyster sauce and garlic are almost no fail in veg dishes. :)

eastcoastlife said...

There are many ways to cook Lotus roots. The common and easy way is to boil soup with it.

I love lotus root stuffed with glutinous rice. It's a dessert and may take a lil more time to prepare.

Retno Prihadana said...

I just imagine how lotus taste like.

Little Corner of Mine said...

You're welcome singairishgirl, you deserve it! :)

Andaliman,
MMmmm...Lotus root with chicken feets sounds good!

Oww thanks Tigerfish! :)

Hi eastcoastlife,
Yeah I have seen lotus root stuffed with glutinous rice before but have yet to taste it.

Hi Retno,
Don't imagine, just try some! LOL!

Anonymous said...

Wow! Your Stir fry lotus root looks delicious. My hubby always asks me to make stir fry with it. But, so far I have only manage soup!!!

Hmmm...maybe now with your recipe he will get his wish!!!

Anonymous said...

Ooops! Forgot to congratulate you for the award!!!

Congratulations!!! You deserve it!!!

East Meets West Kitchen said...

You definitely deserve this award, Ms. schmoozer! LOL! Love the looks of your stir-fry. :)

Little Corner of Mine said...

Thanks V and Tricia! :)

Wow Tricia, I'm surprise that your hubby actually asked you to stir-fry the lotus root, he must have eaten it somewhere or saw it somewhere. Glad that he will finally get his wish! :)

daphne said...

Congrats for the award!

Oh gosh, this is exciting! So many things happening and the award tops it off! that's a great birthday gift! *wink* thank you!

speaking of which, I never dare to stirfry frozen lotus root because it gets soggy.... so I wish we have the fresh stuff! lucky u!

Big Boys Oven said...

hey! you can cut them thinly and deep fry or you can pickle them.

Beachlover said...

wow!! stir fried lotus root.hmmm..how it taste?.I never cook anything except soup but I see some ppls do that especially ppls from China.Must try one day:)

Anonymous said...

Sounds interesting, I never thought that lotus root can be stir fry. I only had them with soup. =P

Little Corner of Mine said...

Thanks Daphne! You deserve it! Happy Birthday to you too!

Hi BBOven,
Ohhh...deep-fry, never thought of it, how to deep-fry? Like tempura style? No thanks to pickle...hahaha...

Hi Beachlover,
It tasted crunchy with the flavor of oyster sauce. Need to be thinly sliced so that it cooked faster.

Hi Bernice,
Ha, I didn't know before too! In soup, it's soft while in stir-fry, it's crunchy, different feel to it!

Anonymous said...

Congrats on the award and thanks for passing it to me! :)
I've never had stir-fry lotus root b4. Only in soup. This looks good! :)

aiknhoon said...

I tried it last night since I have all the ingredients except I have chicken instead of pork. It was yummy!

Little Corner of Mine said...

Thanks BlurMommy and you are most welcome! :) You should try to stir-fry it!

Hi aiknhoon,
Yay!!! So happy to read your feedback and glad you love it! Even my picky hubby finished it so I was a bit surprise, must be good huh? LOL!

Anonymous said...

Finally made this for my hubby today. I made it with carrots, sugar snap peas, tofu puffs and lotus root (no meat).

It came out quite well ... considering I only added water and vegetarian oyster sauce.

Now, my hubby is really happy!!!

Anonymous said...

This dish is wonderful. Made it with chicken, snap peas, carrots, baby corns and button mushrooms. I blanched the veges b4 stir-frying with oyster sauce. Definitely a keeper!