Thursday, July 26, 2007

Sundubu Jjgae (Korean Spicy Bean Curd Stew)



Sundubu Jjgae is a Korean thick and spicy bean curd stew. Traditionally people crack an egg on top of the stew before serving, many still do it now. Some serve this stew with clams, clam juice, seafood, onion, enoki mushroom and other vegetable. This stew is normally served boiling on the table over a hot fire in a Korean pot.

I came to love this soup while dining in a Korean restaurant. I just love the spiciness of this soup and the flavor of Gochujang. The silken soft tofu with the Gochujang made me want to drink this stew non-stop. This stew is especially good while eaten during the cold winter days because it will just warm up your body instantly. Therefore, it will be my favorite soup to cook during winter. What a surprise, my hubby loves this soup too!






Ingredients: (yield 3-4 bowls)

1/2 pack of soft bean curd (7 oz), cut into cubes
2 cloves of garlic, chopped
2 cups of shredded napa cabbage
1/4 cup of chopped green onion/scallion
1 Tbsp. sesame oil
2 Tbsp. Gochujang (Korean red pepper paste)
1 Tbsp. Korean bean paste/ miso paste (red or white)
1/2 tsp. chili powder
1 tsp. chicken stock granules
Enough water to cover

Method:
1. In a Korean hot pot (or a saucepan), heat the sesame oil, add in the garlic. Stir well and add in the bean paste and Gochujang, stir-well and then add enough water to cover. Add in tofu and chili powder. Stir-well to mix, careful not to break the tofu.

2. Add napa cabbage and chicken stock granules. Cover and let it simmer for 5 minutes or until cabbage soften. Open the cover, add in chopped green onion and serve hot.

Warning: Very spicy and yet super yummy!

22 comments:

Retno Prihadana said...

I like spicy tofu soup, too!. you make me *drooling*

Anonymous said...

I love love love sundubu very much, also after I've had this soup stew in a korean eatery. They do it so well :) We will always think of eating this during fall/winter. So comforting. If the sambal stir -fry is sedap, this sundubu, I will use "shiok" to describe :D

SteamyKitchen said...

YUM...I love this soup. I also like to add some fish roe to it.

Anonymous said...

Now you're talking, just my kind of dish... now to find GOCHUJANG? Hopefully POM has it!!
June

Anonymous said...

Another must-try! Looks super yummy!

East Meets West Kitchen said...

Looks spicy and yummy!

Ning's Mummy said...

Haha, we are so mean... I bet your hubby dun read your blog too.. just like my hubby.

I'm impressed you still manage to create so many yummy asian dishes at where you are staying, I would've "converted" to steaks and pasta.

Little Corner of Mine said...

Thanks Retno & VB. :) Must try!

Tigerfish,
Shiok is exactly the right word! It was so shiok I could not stop myself from eating the tofu and drinking the soup.

SteamyKitchen,
Fish roe, wow! Something new!

June,
Hehe..so you like this ah. The last time I went I couldn't find Gochujang at POM, ended out getting mine at H-Mart. You really need to make this, so easy and so shiok!

V, because it is. :) If you make this, you will need a tall glass of cold milk. LOL! You can certainly omit the chili powder and cut down on the Gochujang, but then not sure whether still as shiok or not.

daphne said...

oh wow. PERFECT for cold winter nights! I can feel the heat while looking at the picture (ok.. exaggerate a little). ;p

Home Cooking said...

the soup looks a bit like curry. yummy...

Little Corner of Mine said...

Hi Ning's Mummy,
LOL! Yes, my hubby doesn't read my blog. In fact, I just asked him the other day and he said no. He is too busy playing War Craft!

Daphne, indeed, you should try it! ;)

Thanks Isha! But it doesn't taste like curry at all. But very addicting.

WokandSpoon said...

Spicy sounds really good to me! Love the dish and I definitely have to try this! So many dishes to try and so little time!

Anonymous said...

Dear Little Corner of Mine,
We eat this dish at least once a month at Korean restaurant. Now, you have shown me how I can prepare it at home. Secret ingredient is Gochujang (Korean red pepper paste).

Thanks!

Little Corner of Mine said...

Wokandspoon,
You really have to try this, very shiok man!

Lee Ping,
You're welcome! It's so easy to prepare ourselves and cheap too! I think I'm addicted and have to eat this once/twice a week! :P But it's all healthy, lots of tofu and veggie mah! :)

Anonymous said...

I made this last night and added mince pork as well. VEry nice but needed to add more chilli powder...:)

Little Corner of Mine said...

June,
Glad you like it. Minced pork is a great idea! I added 1 tsp. of chili powder but I cut it down to 1/2 tsp. here, in case it's too spicy for some. :)

ioyces said...

hi Ching!

i just tried this dish!! Just like what you said; very yummy and it was easy, quick and satisfying to boot!!! :D
Thank you for sharing the recipe!!!

Little Corner of Mine said...

Hi ioyces,
Glad you gave it a try and love it. Now you are going to make it often right? ;)

Roy said...

Hi there,

Just a question, must it be in a saucepan or can I cook it in a pot?

Little Corner of Mine said...

Roy, you can cook it in a pot too.

Katie Hanscel said...

I just used your recipe as inspiration to make my own version of a "korean" tofu soup. Here's a link to my blog if you ever want to check it out! Thanks for the inspiration. http://brusselsforbreak.blogspot.com/

Angie B. said...

This was fantastic! Made this today. I doubled the recipe, and then doubled the cabbage. YUM! Also used white miso.