Thursday, April 02, 2009

Salmon with Ginger Slices



Salmon is rich in omega 3 fatty acid and is one of the fishes recommended for heart healthy diet. My husband and I are not a fan of salmon. Often time I eat salmon is due to the fact that it is rich in omega 3, that's the only reason that I would eat it. Another reason is salmon is not cheap at all, especially wild salmon. I don't really like the farm raised salmon mainly because coloring is added to make it looks pink, not to elaborate about the farming of salmon and the condition the salmon were in before it has been packaged. But, I found that you can actually buy affordable wild salmon at Walmart. I bought One lb (16oz) of individually vacuum sealed fillets, wild caught, all natural salmon for only $3.50 (about 4 fillets) on sales, usual price is $3.95. And the whole half size of the wild salmon for only $7+, that's affordable to me. So, I got tempted just because it's high in omega 3 fish oil. I want to balance this fish with the Tilapia fillet that we liked. When I bought this, my hubby actually said who wants to eat this yucky fish. *roll eyes*



I felt like I needed to prove him wrong. Prove to him that salmon can be delicious too, he just needed to be more open minded like me. I took the salmon out to thaw with the thought that if he really didn't like it, that's okay as I could have his share. ;) This wild salmon was actually delicious! I kept it simple, I didn't season the fish fillets at all. I just coated it with cornstarch and pan-fried both sides until cooked. Then, in a little oil, I fried the ginger slices until golden brown, then added in dark soy sauce and sugar. Then, I pour the sauce along with ginger slices on top of the salmon fillets. It's simple and delicious. Oh, I love ginger, so I wanted a lot of it on my fish (Ginger has antioxidants and is an anti-inflammatory food). If you don't like ginger, you can substitute it with minced garlic, scallion, a little chopped red chili. Well, my hubby actually said it was not bad and finished his share. :)

Note: Not sure whether wild salmon plays a part compared to farm salmon in taste wise.

13 comments:

The Cooking Ninja said...

In France, we have the farm raised salmon, wild salmon, farm raised salmon that has to follow strictly to certain rules and such, lastly organic salmon. :) I usually oven bake them in aluminum foil with just a slice of lemon, some herbs and that's it. I love the taste of salmon. So yummy

Mrs Ergül said...

I actually LOVE salmon! Wild salmon doesn't dry out as easily as farm-raised! Buy those with lots of white streaks in between the pink flesh!

Pearl said...

oh that looks so delish!

steve147 said...

I agree salmon is an aquired taste and your recipe will work well. I have a similar recipe on Good Food, in the UK
http://www.bbcgoodfood.com/recipes/6909/salmon-honey-and-soy
You may like to try
Steve147
x

My Asian Kitchen said...

wow!! so cheap one ,eh! we don't have Super Walmart here..We are lucky to have Walmart here coz NYC don't even have any store at all..Our Walmart sell milk ,egg and some frozen food only,,I love salmon so do hubby..As you know I love to use salmon making sushi..But luckily we can get good price salmon here..It's must taste good with ginger!! love it!

Little Corner of Mine said...

Cooking Ninja, we might have the organic salmon too but not too sure since I don't shop at health food store. :P

Thanks for your tips Mrs. Ergul. I will try to look for those with lots of white streaks in between. :)

Thanks Pearl.

Yes Steve, very similar. Instead of honey, I used sugar. Love that sauce.

Yeah lor Beachlover. Love super Walmart, this time I know where to go buy my wild salmon. :) You won't find WalMart in big cities, their focus in on rural areas. Luckily you can still get a good price on the salmon for your sushi there.

sock peng said...

aiyo, i like it ......

tigerfish said...

I like fish with ginger slices, this way :) ...I do that to my fish too.

SIG said...

I've never eaten salmon cooked this way.

Big Boys Oven said...

this looks so yummy delicious lar, deep fried ginger always do served lovely yum yummy!

Noob Cook said...

me too, I eat salmon for the omega 3 too. I only dare to eat cooked salmon but not raw one. I love your Chinese style of cooking it :)

Little Corner of Mine said...

Hehe Sock Peng.

Tigerfish, I think this is more Asian style.

SIG, I prefer salmon cooked in Asian way. :P

Agreed BBOven and thanks. :)

Noobcook, we don't like salmon cooked in American syle or steamed salmon, thus the bad experiences with salmon before. I just created another yummy Asian style salmon recipe which will be coming up soon. That's the best for me and even make me crave for some salmon now. Seriously, I can't wait to go buy salmon and cook this dish again.

Blessed Homemaker said...

My MIL cooks salmon this way too. Sometimes, instead of salmon, she use cod fish but with dark soy sauce and sugar/honey. She adds rice wine too.