Thursday, June 08, 2006

JapChae



This is my version of Jabchai. I didn't know such a noodle existed until I had it in a Korean family house while we were at Memphis. Of course I fell in love with the texture of this noodle since it was so different from what we used to.

So, of course I need to buy and cook it myself. The packet of noodle I bought before came with a recipe so I had been using that for awhile. But the packet now doesn't come with one and thus I have to make it up with what I still remember and what ingredients I have in the fridge.


Closed up

Normally the recipe calls for thinly sliced pork/beef marinated in soy sauce, sesame oil, a little sugar and some cooking wine. The thinly sliced chinese mushroom will be marinated in the same marinade as well. I forgot what veggies are supposed to go with this, but here I used onion, cabbage, carrot and garlic.

As for the sauce of the noodle, it's purely soy sauce, dark soy sauce, salt, sugar and sesame oil.

If you haven't tried this noodle before, you should give it a try! Here's how the noodle looks like. Boiled the noodle until soften, then rinsed with cold water, set aside. Then, mixed the sauce with the cold noodle and top with prefried ingredients. Stir to mix well and lastly added some toasted sesame seeds to toast well.



Enjoy!

2 comments:

Tazz said...

Does it taste like glass noodle? or what we called Tang Hoon? *curious*

Little Corner of Mine said...

Tazz,

It's similar to tang hoon but not quite the same. The texture is more chewy.