Wednesday, June 21, 2006

Bak Kua



Yeahhh, I finally made Tazz's bak kua. Her recipe can be found here. It took me awhile but glad I did it. I followed the original recipe provided by her blog. I baked mine in a convection oven.

I only made 1/2 pound of ground pork just to test it out. The result was delicious. Even my daughter kept asking for more. Definitely finger licking good and a die die must try recipe. What's more, super easy to make!

Eat it plain or sandwich it in the Hawaiian sweet bun for breakfast or snack, yummy! Will definitely make more the next time, but need to buy parchment paper first, out of it already.

Eve said it can be kept at room temperature up to 3 days in a plastic container. Thanks Eve! :) 



自製豬肉乾

Ingredients:
1 lb. minced meat, with some fats
1-1/2 tbsp fish sauce
1 tbsp dark soy sauce
1 tbsp light soy sauce
1 tbsp cooking wine
1/2 cup sugar


Method:

Put minced meat in a big bowl. Add in the seasoning. Use Chopsticks and stir in one direction until minced meat becomes gluey.

Put some gluey minced meat on a *parchment paper. Cover with a big cling wrap (I think plastic sheet is better) and use a roller to roll the minced meat to 2mm thick. (*Do not use aluminum foil as it will stick!)

Put the parchment paper with minced meat, on a baking tray.

Bake in preheated oven at 125 degree Celsius (250'F) for 20 minutes. **After that, increase the temperature to 180 degree Celsius (350'F) and bake for about 20-30 minutes. Keep a close watch, as it burns easily at this stage.

Cooled and cut into pieces.

23 comments:

Tazz said...

Ching, seeing your BK, I feel like making it again, but but but... with my small oven, it's so troublesome. :(

Unknown said...

Ching, very good-looking BK, as good as those sold outside.

Alicia said...

LOL What a coincidence!! I made that last week!!! I guess 'tis the season..:) Great looking pork too!!

Little Corner of Mine said...

Tazz,
Actually I want to make it again tomorrow, hard to resist leh. :P

Thanks Angie! :)

Thanks buzz2, delicious don't they?

Anonymous said...

yum yum, I would love to try this sometime...always missing the jerkies back home :)

Little Corner of Mine said...

Lin,
You should, the flavor is good! :)

Thanks Connie! :)

Anonymous said...

it looks yummy !!! is it hard to make ???

Little Corner of Mine said...

Janet,

It's very easy to make, that's why I made it. Take a look at the recipe, super easy to make actually.

Fonia said...

OMG!!! Ching, dun tempt me... I miss this Bak Kua now, but this summer seem too hot 4 me. Am afraid of turning on my oven... :(

Anonymous said...

My MIL tried yr recipe, we used lily's method of putting it in the oven at low temperature in order that it dries-up but end up cooking the meat. Anyway, they turned out good.

Little Corner of Mine said...

Pei2,

Lily put her in low oven temp. first because later she grill her bak kua.

Little Corner of Mine said...

Hi Nik, for 1 lb. of this homemade one, it cost about $2+, so much cheaper and oh so delicious too. The fish sauce I used is Squid brand fish sauce. The other brand that people said is good has a picture of 3 crabs on it (actually forgot whether is one crab/ three crabs).

Amanda @ Playing with Food said...

Ching, I've made at least 3 batches of these babies! Thanks for sharing! I'm linking to your site :)

Little Corner of Mine said...

So good right Amanda and thanks for linking. :)

Unknown said...

Made it a few weeks ago and it turn out beautiful and delicious!! My hubby and girls loved it so much!!
Thanks again for sharing this lovely recipe!!

Cheers!!//Wai Chee

Little Corner of Mine said...

Thanks for your feedback Christy/Wai Chee. :)

Anonymous said...

I use Magic Non-Stick Liner so i dont have to peal the paper. Also i use Sesame oil as it gives it a more nutty smell.
But otherwise the recipe is really good. Well done to Tazz for blogging it.

4ever-dramaquin said...

OMG! Thanks Ching for this recipe. It is the most delicious Bak Kua and I could control the amount of sugar I put in. Being in California it is impossible to get this here. My husband and daughter both not Chinese loves this BK. My daughter is coming back for Thanksgiving from college and requested this to bring back to dorm to snack.

Love you.

Little Corner of Mine said...

You are so welcome dramaquin and thanks for your feedback! I know, I loved this recipe, the best homemade I have tasted yet. Everyone tried it, loved it. :)

Jess said...

Hi,
I have a few questions :
1. Can I used minced/ground beef instead of pork?
2. Can I substitute honey for sugar?
3. Do you think the bak kua will still look/taste the same if I were to skip the dark soy sauce?

Thanks :)

Little Corner of Mine said...

Hi Jess,
I will try my best to answer your questions.

1. Yes, you can use ground beef.

2. I don't think that will be a good ides as honey is liquid and sugar is solid. The recipe will be altered. Unless you know how to adjust it.

3. So, instead of 1 Tbsp. dark soy sauce, you are just going to use 2 Tbsp. light soy sauce right? In that case, I think the taste would be almost the same, but the color of the bak kua might be a bit different I think.

Hope it helps!

Yen said...

Hi,

I'm so tempted to try this. But if I don't have fish sauce, would it still turn out ok?

Thanks :)

Little Corner of Mine said...

Hi Yen, truthfully it won't taste as delicious.