Tuesday, November 15, 2005
Gina's Yam Kuih
I made Gina's yam kuih yesterday. You can get the recipe at Kitchencapers under Asian steamed kuih.
After it was pan-fried in the morning.
Verdict: It was a bit dry and hard to me. Thus I pan-fried it in the morning. Definitely tasted better as the oil gave it some moisture. Good with chilli sauce.
Recipe courtesy of Gina: (it's a direct copy and paste of her own words)
600 g yam(steam and mashed)
400 g yam(cubed, then steamed)
400 g rice flour
40 wheat starch
1 tbsp sugar
1 tsp salt
900ml Boiling hot water
150 g dried shrimps(soften with water, diced)
10 chinese preserved mushrooms(soften, sliced thinly)
300g pork belly(blanched in hot water for 1 min, then cut into thin shred) 1/2 tbsp salt
3 tbsp Fish sauce
1.5 tbsp sugar
1 tsp pepper
1. in a wok, add 2 tbsp of cooking oil, stir fry dried shrimps till fragant.
2. add pork shreds to fry till cooked. Add mushrooms and rest of seasonings.
3. Stir fry for 3 mins. Set aside
4. In a pot, add hot water and batter mix flour. Do not turn on Fire yet!!Stir to dissolve. Mixture looks like milk.
5. Add mashed yam and stir to mix
6. Add filling ingredients and cubed yam
7. Stir to mix everything evenly
8. Turn on low heat/fire. And stir continously until batter is dry and sticky
9. Brush a round pan with onion oil and pour yam paste into it.
10. Flatten with a spatula.
To Steam using wok:
1. make sure wok is already hot and ready for steaming.
2. Place pan of yam kueh to steam over high heat for 30 to 40 mins.
3. Remove to cool and sprinkle with chopped spring onions and fried onions.
To Steam using a Microwave oven:
1. Fill yam paste in a casserole dish.
2. Spray water on top of the paste till its wet.
3. Pour 1 cup of water into the rotating tray.
4. Cover the casserole and Microwave on HIGH(100%) for 10 mins.
5. Continue to MW on MED(70%) for another 5 mins.
6. Remove and garnish with spring onions and fried onions.
1. Wait for it to be completely cooled before slicing.
2. When its hot(just out of steamer), its too soft to be cut.
3. Serve with chilli sauce or sweet sauce or just freshly cut chilli.