Monday, November 14, 2005

Dried Crunchy Bread Strips

Seriously I didn't even know what this is called. But it's dried, it's hard & crunchy and it's made of bread cutting into strips. Therefore, this name is born.

My mom used to make this snack for me and my siblings when we were young and we always enjoyed eating this crispy sweet treat. Thus when I came over to the States, I just have to make it. I remembered my sister and I were trying to make this bread while in the college dorm but we failed miserably because the bread remain soft in the middle. At that time, I had no idea what went wrong and we never make it again (At that time, I was neither a cook nor a baker, merely a 20 year old college girl).

While I was watching Paula Deen on the Food Network this evening making her dressing for All-Stars Thanksgiving dinner, she mentioned she used days old bread to make her own dried bread for the dressing and baked the bread at low temperature to dry the bread. Ding...ding...ding...it's just clicked. I have some bread sitting in the fridge so why not experiment with it right? Ta...da...

Image hosted by Photobucket.com

The butter & sugar ones.

Image hosted by Photobucket.com

With Milo added.

Image hosted by Photobucket.com

When cooled, packed away in a plastic container.



Ingredients:

1. Days old breads or breads you keep in the freezer. (I used 100% whole wheat bread, thus the brown color)
2. Unsalted butter.
3. Sugar.
4. Milo. (optional)

Method:

1. Preheat the oven to 250'F.

2. Spread the bread generously with butter and sprinkled it with sugar. Cut the bread into three strips and arranged on a cookie sheet lined with parchment paper. You can also sprinkled Milo on top for extra flavor (good for little kiddo).

3. Baked for 1 hour, removed and cooled on wire rack. When cooled, stored in a container.

Verdict: Hard, crunchy with a tint of sweetness, simply delicious! The ones with Milo, even better for a chocolate lover like me! :) Oh yeah, the more the merrier, can definitely spread more Milo than the ones I made.

Do try this, because it is super easy to make and what a yummy afternoon snack, good with a cup of hot coffee too. And what a better way to get rid and recycle the old bread, right? ;)

9 comments:

Anonymous said...

You have made rusks!!

J said...

i used to make this too, ching :D
my topping is just creamed butter+sugar.

Little Corner of Mine said...

Thanks Slau! :)

Jan, can start making it again. :P

Tazz said...

Sounds like Bread Biscuits I had in my childhood (Hokkien - Lo Ti Piah)

Little Corner of Mine said...

Tazz, now you mentioned it, I think my mom called it Lo Ti Piah too. We are Hokkein so you are probably right. :)

Anonymous said...

i used to make this when my childrens young. i just used margerine and sugar and cut into triangle shape.

rokh said...

i use to have these as kids too! i simply love the crunch and its usually coated with sugar

Anonymous said...

Hey Ching,

I made this for my girls, and they absolutely love it!

Arianna, my 6 years-old suggested that I should bake more loaves of bread, so that we would have left-over to make "lo ti piah".

Thanks for an easy, but super yummy delicious recipe.

Warmest Regards,
Celine

Little Corner of Mine said...

Hi Celine,
You are so welcome! Glad your daughters love it! :)