Tuesday, October 04, 2005

Chinese Red Bean Paste Cake



Finally I made my long awaited Chinese Red Bean Paste Cake! :D I got motivated after I saw it at SeaDragon blog. Since I have some red bean paste in the freezer and all the ingredients in the boxes, what the heck, let's do it. I adapted the recipe from Revised Chinese Snacks by Huang Su-Huei, published by Wei-Chuan's Cookbook.


Red Bean Paste Cake (Yield about 5~6 cakes)

Note: I modified this recipe to yield more thin pancakes. (updated Nov. 8, 2005)

3/4 cup all-purpose flour, sifted
2 large eggs
1 1/4 cup water

Red bean paste
Oil for frying
Plastic wrap for handling red bean paste

Step:

1. In a bowl, mix egg + water well. Add sifted flour and mix into a thin batter.

2. Grease a non-stick frying pan in medium heat. Add a scoop of the batter and rotate the pan to form a thin sheet. When cooked, remove and set aside. Do the same with the remaining batter.

3. Use a plastic wrap to press the red bean paste into square and transfer it to the center of the cooked sheet, remove the plastic wrap. Fold the sides of the sheet to the center to form a square shape. Seal the edges with some tapioca flour + water mixture ( 1 tsp. tapioca flour + 2 tsp. water). Do the same with the remaining sheet(s).

4. Heat the frying pan with 3 Tbp. oil and pan fry the square cake until both sides are golden brown and crispy. Remove and drain on paper towel. Repeat for the remaining cake(s). Cut the cakes into pieces and serve hot.

Note:

1. When making the thin sheet, make sure you wait until the sheet is set before attempting to remove it. If not, it will break apart. Since it's so thin, you don't even have to flip it over. When set, just remove it.

2. Make sure the red bean paste you use is sweet enough.

21 comments:

SeaDragon said...

Well done! Your pancakes look better than mine, very crispy looking... I think mine's just a bit too thick. Guess what - I also got that cookbook by Huang Su-Huei, forgot that it got this recipe inside as well :)

Little Corner of Mine said...

Thanks SD! :) The pictures in that cookbook are just too tempting (which prompted me to buy), so many recipes to try hor. Love that book!

Edith said...

Sedap!!!! I want i want

jadepearl said...

So yummy!!! Must really try this one day.

Anonymous said...

Reminds me I still have some leftover red bean paste in the freezer, I guess I shd try this too! Yum!

TriStupe said...

i'm learning to cook for my wife since we've shifted into our new home.

your site comes in handy. Now i hope i won't make a mess out of everything that i'll cook using your recipe.
:D

thanks ching!

Anonymous said...

hi
got your webpage from KC, your pancakes look very yummy! i want to learn to do to this, can i ask you 3/8 cup = ????gram I don't have cup measurement

Little Corner of Mine said...

Hi Susan,
3/8 cup = 45g. Happy cooking!

Hi Stupe,
You're welcome! Good luck in trying out my recipes. Your wife is lucky to have a husband who cooks! :)

Hi Lin & Jp,
Yes, go try it girls!

Precious moment,
Here an imagining piece for you! Hehehe...

Little Corner of Mine said...

Oh Susan,

Just want to be specific since it's different.

3/8 cup of flour = 45g.

3/8 cup of water = 90ml.

Now, happy trying! :)

Anonymous said...

Thank you very much Ching
I will try this very soon.

Anonymous said...

Hi Ching,
Does the red bean paste come in tins? Could you recommend a brand?

many thanks
June

Little Corner of Mine said...

Hi June,
I made the above red bean paste. But after that, I used canned red bean paste. The one I bought is called G.S.T. Sweet Red Bean Paste (Koshian) from China.

Anonymous said...

Thanks Ching. Will try this out this weekend!!

June

Anonymous said...

Yummy! I've tried your recipe for our dinner just now. Its so crispy & thin exactly like your photo.My hubby said,its very delicious. Thanks for sharing this. I'll do this again..;) You shd try it..Its very easy to make..

Little Corner of Mine said...

Thanks for the feedback Anon, I'm so glad you all liked it. :)

Anonymous said...

Anonymous said...
Yummy! I've tried your recipe for our dinner just now. Its so crispy & thin exactly like your photo.My hubby said,its very delicious. Thanks for sharing this. I'll do this again..;) You shd try it..Its very easy to make..

I forgot to mention my name with msg above,that's me. I'm kathy. Is it possible to filling the butter peanut in stead of red bean paste?

As I've left over some butter peanut in the fridge, I'm trying to filling butter peanut in stead of red bean paste later. Will report after I make this. ;p

Little Corner of Mine said...

Hi Kathy,
Not sure about peanut butter (would it melt with heat?), let me know, but you can certainly substitute it with mung bean paste.

Anonymous said...

I've tried peanut butter instead of red bean paste. Its also taste. My sister said that its very taste. ;)..not so melt like red bean paste..I fried red peanut then smashed it. then spread some red peanut on top of peanut butter then pack. ;)

Little Corner of Mine said...

That's great Kathy, as long as it's tasty and you all liked it. :)

freebiesarecool said...

can these be frozen & reheated later? or is it better to freeze them uncooked? thanks.

Little Corner of Mine said...

Hi freebiesarecool,
It is best to freeze them before you pan-fry it. And then pan-fry them until crispy and brown before serving. I think you can pan-fry it straight out of the freezer in frozen stage, I think.