Wednesday, October 01, 2014

养生海燕窝 (Healthy Sea Bird's Nest)




养生海燕窝 (Healthy Premium Sea Bird's Nest) is a natural seaweed, a red algae and because it resembled coral, it is also called 珊瑚草 (Shanhu Cao).  It is packed with nutritional values as it is a natural alkaline food, rich in minerals, a natural soluble dietary fiber, is a plant collagen, has sea enzymes,etc.  You can read more about the nutritional values here.  The texture is like agar-agar, jelly like, the less water you add, the more jelly like it gets when cold.

A relative introduced this to me when I was in Singapore not long ago.  I really loved the texture of this delicious drink and she gave me a packet for me to make here in the U.S.  Her husband got it in Taiwan, so I am not sure whether I can find this in the U.S. or any where in Malaysia.  You just have to ask around or search online.  If you can find it, make it a regular drink as this drink is great for women, hello collagen, will keep your face looking beautiful and young!  ;)  Not only that, as it is also rich in mineral and a natural alkaline food, any health food in my dictionary is a great food to have in your refrigerator.  I keep this refrigerated, you can also keep it frozen.  Thanks CK and Angie for introducing me to this fantastic drink.  :-*




Ingredients:

(A)
1000ml water
2 cubes of Sea Bird's Nest, 海燕窝
10 red dates
10 dried longan

(B)
Black cane sugar bar to suit (can be purchase at Asian supermarket)

Methods:

In a medium size pot, add in (A), turn the heat to high and let it boil.  Then, turn to low and let it simmer until the 海燕窝 is dissolved and the dried longans are soften. Add in black cane sugar bar to taste.  About 30-45 minutes.  Lastly, you can add some dried Wolfberries/Goji berries too (optional). 

After that, remove from heat and add in ice cubes.  Stir.  For best result, once cool, put the whole pot in the refrigerator for about 2 hours.  Serve cold!  

2 comments:

tigerfish said...

I think I have seen it (compressed cubes form) being sold in a Taiwanese shop here in CA. I did not buy it though the benefits were shared by the lady-promoter. Aiya... *shd have bought to try*

Katey said...

You can find it in Sabah.