Tuesday, September 24, 2013

Vietnamese Style Grilled Beef



I don't buy pork and beef in my house anymore.  As you can see in my blog, I hardly have any new beef and pork recipes posted in recent year.  I bought some recently because my husband wanted to eat grill beef when we go camping.  But since I hardly ever buy beef, I had no idea which cut of beef to buy or which cut is good for which.  Anyway, that picture was taken when we did the Korean style BBQ on our campsite.  But we had Vietnamese style grilled beef and Malaysian style satay chicken instead. :-)


Recipe courtesy of Kayotic Kitchen.  Knowing me, I can't follow the cooking recipe exactly.   I also did it the short-cut way.

Put everything in the food processor and give it a couple of pulses.

Ingredients:

1 stalk lemongrass, thumb-size piece fresh ginger
1 garlic clove
2 tbsp oil
1 small shallot
1/8 tsp ground black pepper
4 jalapeño slices
1 tbsp fish sauce
4 tbsp water
2 tbsp sugar
1 1/2 tbsp light soy sauce
1 tbsp mirin


Pulse until looking like the above

Then, pour the sauce into the thinly sliced beef in a large ziploc bag and let it marinate overnight in the refrigerator.  Give it a few turns to marinate all sides.  Then, grill as desired.

6 comments:

tigerfish said...

Like you, I also hardly buy pork and beef to cook, so have also forgotten which cut for what purpose :O

But just once in a while, I will buy the better quality beef (organic, grass-fed) and cook pasta bolognese (my hb loves it when I cook this dish, can see from his face...hahaha!). Other times, I just use chicken for bolognese but the taste with beef is still a little different (more umami). :p

Holiday Baker Man said...

Easy and tasty! Thanks!!

Noob Cook said...

I miss having a bbq! the marinade looks delicious.

Ivy Sew said...

Great and the sauce looks so yummy too!

daphne said...

I havent had beef for a while as my family doesnt take beef. but I do love a good grilled version. Perfect for any bbq which i have to host soon!

CQUEK said...

yummy! and have a wonderful week