Tuesday, June 07, 2011

Dried Mussels with Chicken and Mushrooms


Another dried mussels recipe from me!  The one packet of dried mussels can actually make with few dishes, I still have half a packet left.  I had tried it with Lotus Root Soup and Chap Chai and now tried it with chicken and mushrooms.  But I would probably say it would taste better with pork belly or drumsticks.  But if you are health conscious, then just use skinless chicken breasts like me.   Perhaps I will use the dried mussels in a vegetable soup next.



Ingredients:

  • 2 boneless and skinless chicken breasts, sliced and marinated with soy sauce, white pepper, rice wine, garlic powder and cornstarch (or you can use pork belly)
  • 8-10 dried mussels, soften in warm water, drain
  • 8 dried flower mushrooms, soften in warm water, drain
  • Few pieces of sliced gingers
  • 1 star anise
  • 1 cinnamon sticks
  • 8 cloves
  • 6-8 small white rock sugar
  • 1/4 cup Chinese rice wine
  • Soy sauce to taste
  • 1 Tbsp. dark soy sauce

Method:

1.  In a medium saucepan, add in a little oil.  When hot, add in ginger slices and stir-fry until fragrant.  Add in the spices and stir-fry well.  Add in chicken and dried mussels, stir-fry until chicken is almost cooked.

2.  Add in water to cover.  Add in mushrooms, stir well.  Add in the seasonings and let it simmer for an hour.

3.  Season to taste if needed.  Serve with rice.


10 comments:

Indonesia Eats said...

This is perfect for Winnipeg's weather today. It's raining and gloomy!

Jocie's Mom said...

Mmm! This looks tasty :) I didn't know a package of dried mussels would go that far! Well done

Belinda @zomppa said...

Sounds like such a special treat - and healthy, too!

Culinary School: Three Semesters of Life, Learning, and Loss of Blood said...

We worked with fresh, not dried, mussels when I was a culinary school student (I wrote about it here, if you're interested: "Culinary School: Three Semesters of Life, Learning, and Loss of Blood" http://amzn.to/eOKJWw - on Amazon Kindle) - I must try dried, now!

chopinandmysaucepan said...

This dish looks like such a delicious home cook meal and comfort food!

Smoky Wok (formerly Tastes of Home) said...

Mmmm lovely dish! I have never cooked with dried mussels but sounds and looks mouthwatering!

tigerfish said...

Must be uber-umami!

daphne said...

yum! Ching, u always teach me how to make more chinese dishes ;)

Cameron said...

Its look delicious ... I'll try to cook it at home...and let me link your site on my page...

pigpigscorner said...

I always wonder what to do with dried mussels apart, this sounds so good!