Thursday, December 16, 2010

3-2-1 Chicken Chop


Oh man, the way I crisscrossed it, it looked more like liver wasn't it?  Luckily the main star in this dish was not the chicken chop but the sauce that I invented.  I saw a Kikkoman commercial on my Chinese cable and it was introducing it's 3-2-1 chicken chop sauce using it's Kikkoman special sauce (I didn't really know what kind of sauce, might be some sort of special soy sauce), sweet rice wine and sugar.  Oh well, I didn't have the Kikkoman sauce neither did I have the sweet rice wine but I do have other sauces at home that I could experiment with.

I thought of Worcestershire sauce and Shao Xing rice wine instead.  Worcestershire sauce had a bit of sour taste to it like vinegar so I thought it would pair well with some rice wine and sugar.  I also added a touch of sesame oil in the end.  This sauce got our stamp of approval, we all loved it.  If you tried it, credit me for my creation and feedback to me ya.  It would go well with pork and steak too.




Ingredients:

1 piece of chicken chop (boneless & skinless chicken thigh and drumstick), cut crisscross line on chicken for even cooking.  Season with a little kosher salt.

  • 3 Tbsp. reduced sodium Worcestershire sauce ( I used Lea & Perrins reduced sodium)
  • 2 Tbsp. Shao Xing cooking wine (Chinese cooking wine)
  • 1 Tbsp. sugar
  • A drop of sesame oil

EVOO for pan-frying

Method:

1.  In a bowl, prepare the Worcestershire sauce, Shao Xing wine, sugar and sesame oil, set aside.

2.  Heat up a saute pan or wok, add in EVOO and when hot, add in chicken chop, turn the heat to low and pan-fry until brown on both sides and almost cook inside.  Cover if needed (for faster cooking time).

3.  Add in the prepared sauce and let the chicken simmer in the sauce until the sauce thicken and the chicken is cooked completely.  You can turn the chicken to soak in the sauce.  Slice and serve with hot rice.

8 comments:

Belinda @zomppa said...

Oh goodness...this looks so flavorful! I love the presentation.

Sweet Jasmine said...

Kikkoman is a kind of Japanese soy sauce slightly sweet, fragrant n less salty. Your chicken chop here looks nice. Will cook it tommorrow for lunch.

Roxan said...

Sigh, I really need to get some of this chinese cooking wine, but all the asian shopping I do is at Korean and Japanese markets and I haven't seen it at either! This sauce looks amazing, might I say it would even be tasty on vegetables and tofu? :)

Unknown said...

hehehe yes, i thought it was liver too :D

wow! you are now a sauce inventor! very adventurous indeed, may i know which sweet rice wine to use?

tigerfish said...

Hahha...looks like liver or even mango (some of us slice mango this way!). why the name 3-2-1?

Sonia ~ Nasi Lemak Lover said...

Nice creation!

Anonymous said...

Great blog! I've included it on a site I've created, which is a compilation of some of the best blogs in the city.

Best of Blogs Colorado Springs
http://bestofblogscoloradosprings.wordpress.com

Little Corner of Mine said...

You are too kind Belinda. :)

Hope you like this sauce Sweet Jasmine. I use Kikkoman soy sauce at home, but this sauce promoted in the TV. seem to be other variety. It came in small bottle, next time let me pay attention. :P

Roxan, H-mart Korean supermarket has Shao Xing cooking wine, but not the smaller ones. Next time stop by the Chinese store and buy one, really comes in handy for Chinese cooking. I can see this sauce on tofu and not sure about vegetable. :P

Rita, I don't know which sweet rice wine, so I used Shao Xing. ;)

Tigerfish, totally looks like liver to me. LOL!!! 321 for easy memorization of the recipe!

Thanks Sonia.

Thank you bestofblogCOS! It's an honor to be included. :)