Wednesday, March 18, 2009

Braised Pork in 5-spice Powder and Mantau



I served my Chinese steamed buns/Mantau 饅頭 with braised pork. This is a recipe shared by Josh (Gan55) in 2005. You can read more from my other link here.

Still in the pot waiting for dinner time to arrive. Imagine my mantau soaking up this deliciously thick gravy.

I will share his recipe here with you.



Ingredients:

  • Pork belly (I just used any part of pork that has some fat in it)
  • 6 Tbsp. oil ( I used 3-4 Tbsp.)
  • 3 Tbsp. brown sugar
  • Few slices of ginger
  • Dark soy sauce to cover 1/5 of the pork belly
  • 3 tsp. 5-spice powder
  • Water to cover the pork


The uncut pieces of pork waiting to be eaten. The fat is totally melt in the mouth and sinful. I guess once in a while is okay to indulge. Some pieces have more meat than fat.

Method:

1. Heat up a pot/pan with the oil in medium heat. Add in brown sugar and stir until sugar caramelized, careful not to burn it. Add in sliced gingers and stir-fry for a little while. Then, add in the pork and seal both sides of the pork.

2. Add in dark soy sauce until it covered 1/5 of the pork pieces. Then, add water to cover the pork. Braise in low heat for an hour. Add in the 5-spice powder and braise for another hour. Check for tenderness, if not braise for another hour.

3. Take out the pork belly/ pork pieces and reduce the sauce by simmering it. Slice the pork belly into pieces and add the reduce thicken sauce on top to serve.


19 comments:

Pearl said...

the braised pork lokos so fall-off-the-bone delish!

Anonymous said...

thanks ur sharing
good suggestion for me
usually , i link mantau with curry ,

Our Renovation Adventures said...

Wow, this looks so yummy. We normally don't cook this at home in Malaysia (too much work-lah). We order it from the restaurant. The best part is dipping the bun in the sauce!

Anonymous said...

look really sinful to eat!! long time I didn't eat mantau with braised pork...hmmm forget to eat when back in Malaysia,guess I have to cook myself if I want to eat now:P

Baking Fiend said...

i love this! minus the fats tho' . heheh... and the kids love the mantous.

tigerfish said...

Juicy moist pork....
so tempting.

Little Corner of Mine said...

Yes Pearl, really soft.

Sock Peng, I never link mantau with curry before, now that's new to me.

Thanks Corinne. It's great you get to order it from a restaurant. Here we have to make everything. *sigh*

Hahaha beachlover. We really have to cook in order to eat here, "susah lah!" It's pretty sinful. :P

Baking Fiend, yeah me too, a bit afraid of the fat, but so melt-in-the-mouth good leh. :P

Tigerfish :)

Ninette said...

This looks really good!

Big Boys Oven said...

OH You make me miss this . . . . now I am home sick! :( ........!

SIG said...

Gorgeous! I love black food. :P

Anonymous said...

The braised pork looks like delicious.

Anonymous said...

Your dish and mantau had my drooling right in front of my computer screen. I so want to eat this. Going to do this.

Little Corner of Mine said...

Thanks Ninette.

Oh no BBOven. :P

Hehe Sig, same here. :)

Thanks Sara.

Great Cooking Ninja!

Chun Har said...

The recipe is perfect! I love eggs so I added 2 hardboiled eggs to braise for the last hour, yummilicious!

Little Corner of Mine said...

Thanks for trying the recipe Chun Har and for the feedback. Yes, it would be delicious with hard boiled eggs and also tau kwa (hard tofu).

Anonymous said...

I used this recipe today but changes some things my own no mantau bud dried beancurd sticks the result was very good the meat was very tender and falling of the bone.

Little Corner of Mine said...

Glad you liked it Anon. Yes, the meat will be very soft and tender.

karl said...

And i make this again today this is now with my name and website with the picture of yesterdaysdish i make from mostly your recipe.

Little Corner of Mine said...

Will check out your blog Karl. :)