Thursday, March 13, 2014

Korean Style Cold Tofu Banchan


There is a reason why I like to eat at a Korean restaurant, I will get to sample their banchan/ side dishes and then discover new banchan to cook at home.  There are some Korean restaurants that serve up non-traditional banchan that use mayonnaise, fruit salad and salad.  But I like the traditional banchan more especially those that I am not familiar with.  I find it great to sample food that I have never eaten before from another culture.  My husband is the least adventurous of all as he won't touch some of the banchan such as kimchi.  Luckily I have exposed my girls to kimchi early on and they all love kimchi now and three of us will finish the kimchi in the restaurant.


This spicy cold tofu dish is the replica of what I had recently.  I am not sure whether this is the right way of doing it but this is my way of making it and I think it turned out pretty good.  I think it make a quick and easy banchan.  My hubby didn't like it, he didn't even want to try it at first but took a tiny bite after I asked him. Oh well... more for me then!




Ingredients:

1 organic firm tofu, slice horizontally into half (like picture shown below), keep the other half in a container covered with water and refrigerated for later.  This recipe only use half.

Sauce:
2 tsp. Korean chili powder  (use 1 tsp. if you prefer it less spicy)
1/8 tsp. sea salt
1/2 tsp. light soy sauce
1 tsp. raw honey
1 Tbsp. water
Dashes of white pepper
2 Tbsp. chopped scallion
1 tsp. toasted sesame seeds


Method:

1.  In a bowl, add in all the sauce ingredients, stir to mix well.  Set aside.

2.  Slice the half horizontal tofu into 8 pieces and place in an air-tight container.  Pour the sauce on top and cover the lid.  Keep refrigerated.  Once in a while, take it out and give it a good shake so that the sauce will be marinating the tofu.  I make it in the morning and have it for dinner.  I also take it out 30 minutes before serving time so that the tofu is more like room-temperature instead of refrigerator cold.  Serve as banchan for any Korean meal.

6 comments:

Sonia ~ Nasi Lemak Lover said...

Can I exchange my Kimchi with yours? ^_^

Juliana said...

This tofu dish looks delicious...like it spicy with a touch of sweet...yum!
Have a great weekend :D

tigerfish said...

This is easy enough for me to try. Bookmarked!:)

If I don't use Korean chili powder, does it make it Korean? :P

I think my hb will like this cos it is spicy. The only "thing" he does not like is sour stuff...ahahha...so it is actually quite many "things" (or food) :O

Little Corner of Mine said...

Tigerfish, if you don't use the Korean chili powder, it would look and taste different. ;) So, you can't cook assam anything? But yours is still minimal compared to my hb. :P

Noob Cook said...

this looks easy enough and I have all the ingredients. must try it some day.

Corina said...

I only like tofu if it has lots and lots of flavour on it and this looks delicious. I'd love to try it.