Saturday, February 01, 2014

Red Bean Pastry Rolls


A friend shared a link to this recipe via Facebook and it interested me because I had a pack of red bean paste that needed to be used and this recipe looked easy.  I simplified the recipe further by using a food processor and with a ready made red bean paste, this was really easy to make. 


The pastry was crispy on the day it was baked and not as crispy day 2 onwards.  However, it was still a delicious treat.  A change from the usual CNY cookies!



Recipe courtesy of www.dodocook.com/recipe/46864.  I was trying to link it but for some reason the website couldn't be found!  I simplified the method here by using a food processor.

Ingredients:

(A)
200g bread flour
60g cane sugar
1/4 tsp. sea salt 
(B)
100g unsalted butter
1 large brown egg
(C)
Red Bean paste, as needed
White sesame seeds, as needed



Method:

1.  In a food processor, add in (A).  Pulse to mix.

2.  Add in (B) and pulse until a dough is formed.  Flour your working surface and add in the dough.  Knead until smooth.  Roll in out thin in a rectangle shape, cut out the uneven part.  Place the red bean paste filling along the long rectangle length, roll it up to seal.  Seal side down.

3.  Cut it into pieces.  Brush the top with egg wash and sprinkle it with sesame seeds.  Place on parchment lined baking sheet.  Finish the rest.

4.  Preheat oven to 350'F.  Bake for 20 minutes or until golden brown.  Cool on wire rack completely before storing.

5 comments:

tigerfish said...

This is very similar to a Chinese pastry dessert (redbean pancake) that I enjoy. Happy Lunar New Year to you and your family! :)

Noob Cook said...

looks yummy! wishing you and your loved ones a happy and prosperous lunar new year :)

WokandSpoon said...

I love red bean anything and everything! Wish we could get red bean paste easily over here. I suppose I could make my own but way too lazy for that :-) Lovely rolls!

Unknown said...

Very interesting - Never heard of these before - Would really like to see this submitted to FoodFotoGallery.com so I can share with all my foodie friends :-)

m2ndSt said...

CJ why not do that yourself?