This Butter Custard Cookie is a spin off of my Custard Cookies that I made in 2011. That cookie was delicious and I wanted to make it again this year, but when I looked through the recipe again, it has cornstarch in it. I threw away my cornstarch a while ago and have no plan of using it again, so here's the spin off! I like this cookies a lot as it is very fragrant, it's buttery, custardy, and also smell of vanilla. It is light and crispy. Both my girls loved this cookie and told me they could finish all the cookies in one day. Hahaha...
You are welcome to double the recipe as this cookie will go fast. Maybe doubling and make a few batches if you intend to give it as gift.
* I am also submitting this post to Chinese New Year Delights 2013 hosted by Sonia aka Nasi Lemak Lover*
Yields about 50+ cookies, depending on the size.
10 Tbsp. unsalted butter, soften
1/2 cup confectioner/power sugar
1 egg yolk (from large egg)
1/2 tsp. vanilla extract
1/2 cup + 1/3 cup unbleached all-purpose flour
1/3 cup pure custard powder
1. In a large deep bowl, use an electric beater and cream together butter and sugar. Add in yolk and beat together. Add in vanilla extract and cream together.
2. Add in custard powder, beat until well blended.
3. Add in flour and beat until well blended.
4. Preheat oven to 350'F. Prepare cookie sheet lined with parchment paper.
5. Scoop the batter into a cookie press and press out your desired cookie shape. The dough will be soft and sticky. If you don't have a cookie press, perhaps you can shape it into a log, wrap with cling wrap and refrigerate until hard (at least an hour). And cut it out and bake.
6. Bake for 12 minutes (cookie press) or 14 minutes (cut out). Keep watch at 12 minutes as baking time also depending on the size of your cookies. Cool on wire rack completely before storing.