This is a soft and chewy coconut candy that is very easy to make. This is different from the hard coconut candy with bright coloring (from Malaysia). Instead of making it tricolored, you can shape each color into a ball (wear plastic glove) and serve it individually. I think it would help in tasting the different flavors of the candies. I found that when combining the three, I couldn't taste the individual flavor as the rose paste seem to be over powering the rest of the flavors.
When I flipped through my friend's recipe cards the other day, I saw a recipe that was very similar to this and it is called Coconut Ice, it is a traditional English candy that required no baking too. You can read more about it here.
- 1 pkg (7oz) sweeten coconut flakes
- 1/2 can of (14oz) sweeten condensed milk
- Pandan paste
- Rose paste
- Almond essence
1. In a large bowl, add in the coconut flakes and condensed milk. Stir to blend well. Separate it into three separate bowls (equal amount). In each bowl, add in pandan, rose and almond essence individually. Stir to blend and mix well (like picture above).
2. Line a rectangle container with wax paper. Put the pandan paste layer down. Press it down. Add the almond layer next and press it down. Lastly, top with the rose flavored layer and press it down and try to compact it. Cover and keep refrigerated for a day.
3. Cut in pieces and serve. Keep the remaining refrigerated.