Wednesday, February 16, 2011

Fried Nian Gao and Sweet Potatoes with Spring Roll Wrapper


An interesting new way to serve nian gao that I noticed this year.  I was eager to try it and I did.  I saw a friend did a deep-fried nian gao with spring roll and she said it was delicious.  But I bought a sweet potato to go with my nian gao already and thus I wanted to incorporate the sweet potato into this spring roll.  Then, I saw another similar post while blog hopping.  That blogger used smashed steamed taro mixed with coconut flakes to wrap the nian gao and rolled it in the spring roll wrapper before deep-frying.  So, that was my "aha" moment.  I can steam and then smash my sweet potato before wrapping it with the nian gao and spring roll wrapper.  The idea was set and I got to work and the resulted product was really crispy and delicious.


I used the steamed nian gao that I did earlier.   The verdict of this nian gao is not what I was hoping for.  I wanted one that would melt when deep fried but this one was not.  It is not as fragrant too maybe it was because I didn't use the palm sugar but the Chinese bar sugar instead.  Therefore the color of this nian gao is not as dark brown.  Overall, it was an okay recipe, definitely not the best.  But I would try it again with palm sugar just to see whether it will have any difference (just want to experiment :-P).




This rectangle one only has a piece of nian gao.  This will stay crispy as there is no water from the sweet potato to soften the fried spring roll.


Direction:

1.  Cut the sweet potatoes into smaller pieces and steam for 25 minutes or until soften when poke with a fork.  Take it out and smash it with a fork.  Set aside to let cool.

2.  Take out the nian gao and cut it into log shape pieces.

3.  Prepare a bowl of water.  Take a piece of spring roll wrapper and place some smashed sweet potato on top like the above picture.

4.  Place a piece of nian gao in the middle.  Brush the sides of the spring roll wrapper with water.  Fold and roll it into a roll.  Finish the rest.

5.  Deep-fry in batches in medium heat oil until golden brown.  Dish out and drain on paper towel to absorb the excess oil.  Serve!

Note:  You can keep the leftover in a container in the refrigerator.  Just toast it again in a toaster oven before serving (about 5-6 minutes).


18 comments:

Food For Tots said...

You're so creative!! I love this version. Looks so drooling! ;)

Sally Lim said...

Wow..this is something very new..
Will try it soon.. one side mashed yam and the other side is mashed sweet potatoes is also a good idea..mmmm yummy..

Smoky Wok (formerly Tastes of Home) said...

Great idea to wrap in springroll! I am so impressed you made your own nian gao :D

Belinda @zomppa said...

That is so unique!! I could so get behind this creation.

Roxan said...

This looks so good! I don't know what nian gao is though... but I want to try it. Is it sweet?

tigerfish said...

I guess I prefer nian gao fried without the wrapper.

Anh said...

what a great idea!! I don't have nian gao around to try it, but I would love to!

Baking Fiend said...

Wow! U really nailed it! Thumbs up!

Unknown said...

what a way to serve nian gao!...ya, palm sugar might add that extra touch of coconutey flavor...

Ju (The Little Teochew) said...

WOW! That looks so good! The contrast in texture is brilliant.

j3ss kitch3n said...

i love this!!! looks so crispy! if i'm not down with heatiness i would definitely fry this!

Little Corner of Mine said...

Thanks F4T. :)

Sally, that's a good idea too!

Jen, no choice, want to eat. :D

Thanks Belinda, it's yummy too.

Roxan, this nian gao that I make is not really sweet, the sweetness came from the sweet potato.

Tigerfish, have you tried this version? Really crispy and delicious too leh.

Anh, try it when you have some nian gao, really worth it!

Thanks Baking Fiend. :D I found the solution eh.

Yes Rita, would definitely try that and play with the recipe a bit.

Thanks Ju. :)

j3ss, hope you get well soon. Drink more Chinese cooling tea.

valyn @ 家乡槟城,想念伦敦 said...

looked yummy~!! hello~ first time here ;)

Unknown said...

That looks so cool. I would never think of using sweet potatoes

Anonymous said...

Hi Ching,

Any idea why did my spring rolls tear and the fillings ooze out when frying?

Regards,
Lynn

Little Corner of Mine said...

Hmmm Lynn, how come your springroll would tear when deep-frying? Did you deep-fry it in "medium" heat oil? If you wrap it nicely and deep-fry it in medium heat oil, I don't see why the springroll wrapper would tear. I used old springroll wrapper that had been in the freezer for a while and had wet spot and still it didn't tear. So, I don't really know the answer to your question. Is it the brand? Have you used this brand before? Anyway, I used Spring Home brand. And hope you can figure out the answer. Sorry.

Anonymous said...

Hi Ching,

I also used Spring Home brand. My hubby said it cld be the nian gao that was giving the problem coz it expanded and oozed out when I was frying in medium heat.

Anyway, thanks for your reply.

Regards,
Lynn

Little Corner of Mine said...

Lynn, it might be just what your husband said then because my nian gao didn't expand.