Like many Asian who are used to the Asian sweet soybean milk, I cannot stomach the American soybean milk. What worst is most soybeans produced in the U.S. is GMO (Genetically Modified Organism) product. Anyway, it doesn't matter to me as I don't like the American soybean milk anyway. I buy my dried soybeans at the Asian grocery store here as it was imported from other Asian countries. I remembered I helped my mom made soybean milk before but I forgot how easy it is to make our own. Until I saw Noobcook's soybean post. I was like wow it is very easy to make our own sweet soybean milk at home.
I measured the amount I used to give my readers a guide. 1 cup of dried soybeans made 1 pitcher of soybean milk for me. I keep it in the refrigerator because I like it cold. It should be able to keep for a few days in the refrigerator. If you like to make your own American style soybean milk, just omit the rock sugar.
- 1 cup dried soybeans
- 1/2 cup Asian small white crystal sugar (pin tang)
- A powerful blender
- 1 piece of cheese cloth
- 1 fine sieve
1. Wash the soybeans until water runs clear. Soak it in water overnight or until triple in size.
2. Strain the soybeans. My 1 cup of dried soybeans now measure about 3 cups expanded soften soybeans.
3. Put 1 cup of expanded soybeans in the blender, add in 3 cups of water. Chop, Mix and Liquefy the mixture until well blended. Pour into a prepared bowl with a big sieve and a piece of cheese cloth on top. Strain the mixture. Repeat 2 more times.
4. Squeeze the pulp inside the cheese cloth as best as you can to bring out more liquid. I strain the soybean milk two more times through the fine sieve to make sure it is cleared of pulp.
5. Pour the soybean milk in a pot and boil in medium heat. Then turn to low to simmer for 10 minutes to remove the strong smell of raw soybeans. Lastly add in the crystal sugar, stir until dissolve. Turn off heat and serve warm or cold. Keep leftover in the refrigerator to be enjoyed throughout the day. I made 1 pitcher like you see in the picture. Enjoy!