My family loved dodol. We adored the triangle shaped Durian dodol and Pandan dodol. But the online store where I got my fix from had closed down. So, what to do? Guess I will have to make my own. When I was at Lily's house on CNY party, I got a taste (more than a taste, :P) at her homemade dodol. It was so gooooood, I got a fix then. Later, her daughter told me it was very easy to make, just use the microwave. Okay, anything easy was what I liked, so I went to look at Lily's recipe, very few ingredients which I have, instruction seem fairly easy too. So, why not?
Well, not so easy! Expect to have some good arm exercise at stirring the mixture vigorously for about 11 intervals or so. I kept stirring and stirring and when I touched the dodol, it still stuck to my finger even though it was shinning. Luckily at 11 intervals, I finally did it, I thought it would never stop. So, if you want to eat some dodol, expect to work hard for it. :P
Wrapped nicely to cool off.
You can find the original recipe at Lily's blog. Below is my adaptation of her recipe with added pandan extract. Resulted pandan dodol: soft, with the fragrant of Pandan and slightly chewy, simply delectable! My hard work was well worth it.
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 8 oz Gula Melaka, cut into small pieces
- 1/2 cup water
- 1 tsp. Pandan extract
- 1 cup glutinous rice flour
- 1 Tbsp. rice flour
- 1 can (400ml) coconut cream (Cream not milk ok!)
- 1/2 cup water
1. Add (A) in a microwave safe glass bowl and cook on "High" in a microwave for 5 minutes. Use a whisk and whisk until sugar dissolved. If not, cook for another minute.
2. Add (B) and whisk until combined. Strain the mixture.
3. Cook on "High" at 3 minutes interval, stirring vigorously with a wooden spoon at every interval. Continue to cook and stir until mixture thickens, is shinny and does not stick to finger when touched. It took me 11 intervals, ouch my arm!
4. Transfer dodol to a greased (I sprayed mine with canola oil) cling wrap, wrap up well and let it cool at room temperature. When cooled, cut into pieces and enjoy. Keep it at room temperature well wrapped. It is so good, it will be finished in no time, but very fattening, so snack on it smartly. I finished mine on the 3rd day (I snacked on it smartly, divided by 4 persons each day :P) and it was still as soft as the 1st day.
Look at how my girls helped me polished the bowl! Yes girls, don't waste the dodol.
So good mommy, 很好吃啊，妈妈! :)