The recipe I promised. Sharing with you my healthy whole wheat and oats cookies made using canola oil. No fragrant of butter but each bite leaving you feeling less guilty. Canola oil has lower saturated fat, zero trans fat, higher monounsaturated and polyunsaturated fat which are better for your heart. Whole wheat and oats are also recommended heart healthy diet so this cookie is sure a healthy cookie to me. Still no over indulgence, limit to 2-3 cookies per day. Any over snacking will result in gaining weight as you know. But of course it is better to snack on some thing healthy for you instead of bad for you. This is a crispy cookie and sort of addictive (well to me).
Ingredients: (Yields about 40, 1.5-inch cookies)
- 1 large egg
- 125 ml. or 1/2 cup canola oil
- 1/2 tsp. PURE vanilla extract
- 1/4 cup + 1/8 cup white granulated sugar
- 1 1/4 cup whole wheat flour (I used King Arthur)
- 1 tsp. baking powder
- 1/2 tsp. baking soda
- 3/4 cup old fashioned rolled oats (or instant oatmeal)
1. Preheat the oven to 350'F. In a bowl, whisk together (A).
2. Add (B) and mix with a spatula until combined. Use your hand if needed.
3. Shape into a 1-inch ball size dough and press to flatten. Place on parchment paper lined cookie sheet. Arrange 1 inch apart as this cookie will expand slightly while baking.
4. Bake for 15 minutes. Cool in pan for 5 minutes before transfer the cookies to cool completely on wire racks. Store in air-tight container.