Sunday, February 17, 2008

Baked Red Bean Nian Gao



I decided to make this red bean nian gao to bring to Lily's party and to serve at my party. This recipe was shared by Lin, and it is so worth a try. Thank you Lin for sharing this fantastic recipe. :*



This is seriously good. Tasted so much better with the added red bean, I will make this again next year. Oh yeah, have you spotted my mistake yet? I forgot to swirl the red bean paste around the batter when I dropped it in and thus some part had red bean while other didn't. Not pretty too but look can be deceiving! ;) Anyway, I learned from my mistake. 


 
Recipe:
 

Baking Temperature ~ preheated 350°F / 180°C oven
 

Ingredients:
 

1 lb (500g) glutinous rice flour
2 ½ cup milk
3 eggs
1 cup vegetable oil
¾ cup brown sugar
¾ cup sugar
½ can (15 oz) red bean paste
 

Method:
 

1. Grease a 9 x 13-in pan. Set aside.
2. Combine all ingredients, except red bean paste.
3. Beat the mixture with a beater, mixing well.Pour ¾ of the batter into the prepared tin.
4. Bake for 10 minutes. Remove pan from oven, put spoonfuls of red bean paste all over the baked batter.
5. Cover the remaining ¼ of the batter on top of the red bean paste & continue to bake for 60 minutes.

 

14 comments:

Mandy said...

Gong Xi Fa Cai! wow, a baked nian gao sounds interesting. I have to try it after assembling all the ingredients. Does it taste like the traditional nian gao? I LOVE nian gao!

Beachlover said...

aiyooo...you so 'keng' Nien gao also know how to make.It's this Nien gao errhh... chinese or taiwanese style??.

Retno Prihadana said...

Give me two slices please....

Ling's Passion said...

This type of nian gao is new to me. But it does look yummy and very authentic.

daphne said...

nice! makes me want to make this nian gao. Might give it a go if I can find the red bean paste.. i pan fried store bought nian gao with egg and flour but this version looks much healthier without the preservatives!

cocoa said...

Looks really good!! Definitely keep for next CNY to try! Thanks for sharing. I love both red bean and Nian Gao.

Little Corner of Mine said...

Hi Mandy,
I love nian gao too thus I have to try this recipe. This is a Taiwanese nian gao, sweet (red bean), soft and chewy. Slightly different from the traditional nian gao.

Thanks Andaliman.

Hehe..Beachlover, this is a Taiwanese nian gao. "Wa si bor pien", wanna eat have to make lor. Hahaha....

Help yourself Retno. :)

Ling, this nian gao is worth the trouble! :)

Daphne, get your red bean and make this, it's delicious. It compliments the red bean nicely and you don't even have to pan-fry this.

Thanks Cocoa. Yup, keep it for next year or whenever you have a house party can also make this too. ;)

bigfish_chin said...

Hi little corner of mine,
Gong Xi Fatt Chay!
I'm back and finally have time to leave some comments here!
I love your red bean Nian Gao leh! Sound so special to me!

Got your TAG and many from others too... need some time to get it done. :)

Anonymous said...

Hi Ching, I'm glad u love this recipe...actually it was shared by a co-worker who came from Hong Kong, so I think it's a Hong Kong version :) I also love this version of nian gao rather than the regular ones!

Little Corner of Mine said...

Welcome back bigfish, can't wait to read your new posts! :)

Thanks for the clarification Lin! So, it's a HK version. :P

Chibog in Chief said...

looks sinfully delicious!! i want to dive on this cake :-)

East Meets West Kitchen said...

This looks yummy! Saw the recipe for this at 'that site' too, and maybe I'll try it next year since you said it's good! :)

Big Boys Oven said...

look so delicious! such a delicate desert!

Little Corner of Mine said...

Thanks dhanggit and BBOven.

Thanks V and because it is yummy. Yes, you should make it next year.