Thursday, March 22, 2012

Korean Sweet Sesame Chicken


We quite liked this dish as it was sweet and tangy and nothing could go wrong with a sweet tangy sticky sauce on a fried chicken strips.  When I looked at this picture again, I realized that I forgot to garnish it with the toasted sesame seeds.  It involved some steps and the last step sort of slip past me.  Hehe...

I had tried a spicy version and I wanted to try the non-spicy version too hence this dish was made.  I also made it healthier by using chicken tenders instead of wings.  When the ginger and garlic were minced and mixed in this dark sauce, my girls won't know what they were eating and they loved the sweet and tangy sauce.  Just don't tell them what were in the sauce when they asked.  What a great way to trick them!  :D



Sauce recipe adapted from Hannaone's Korean Recipes.  I modified chicken wings to chicken tenders and the method of preparing it.  

Ingredients:

8 chicken tenders

Sesame Paste:
  • 2 Tbsp. toasted sesame seeds
  • 1 tsp. pure sesame oil

Sauce:
  • 3 Tbsp. sesame paste (above)
  • 2 Tbsp. soy sauce
  • 2 Tbsp. sugar
  • 1 Tbsp. water
  • 1 tsp. lime juice
  • 1 Tbsp. rice wine
  • 4 cloves garlic, minced
  • 1 small piece of ginger, minced (about 1/2 ounce)

Garnish:
  • 1 scallion, chopped
  • Toasted sesame seeds

Method:

1.  Cut each chicken tender lengthwise into half to make 16 strips, season the chicken strips with salt, black pepper, sesame oil and rice wine.

2.  Prepare the sesame paste.  Place sesame seeds and oil into a blender and blend into a thick paste.  I had problem with this even though I double the amount,  my blender couldn't get the job done (I would recommend a small blender or increase the amount).  I ended out adding more oil to get the blender to blend.  I think it will work better with quadruplet the amount.  Pour into a glass bottle and refrigerate. [or better yet just go buy the bottle sesame paste]

3.  Add all the sauce ingredients into a bowl, stir-well.

4.  Heat up your wok, when heated, add in oil.  Prepare a plate of cornstarch for coating the chicken tender strips.  Dip each strips into cornstarch, cover all area and slowly drop into the hot oil to pan-fry.  Pan-fry 4-5 at a time depending on the size of your wok/ pan.  Dish out when golden brown and cooked.  Set aside.

5.  Clean your wok.  Wipe dry and heat it up again.  Add the sauce mixture and let it simmer.  When bubble, add in the fried chicken strips, stir and coat each piece of strips well with the sauce and let the sauce thicken.

6.  Serve on a plate and garnish with scallion and toasted sesame seeds.


15 comments:

Lacy @ NYCityEats said...

Mmmm this looks soooo delicious! I love the sticky tangy sauce on the fried chicken strips! How could you resist! Yum!!

Nava K said...

I do also at times forget to add some ingredients before taking the pictures. At least you were honest to say and have stated that in your recipe.

I will go for the wings and of course for me, the spicy taste is a must. This makes a simple yet delicious dish.

Retno Prihadana said...

Interesting recipe with sesame paste. I should try this korean dishes, looks yummy.

Belinda @zomppa said...

I think I'll take both versions!! Though...my preference is definitely spicy. I'm hungry again.

WokandSpoon said...

All you need is some hot steaming rice to go with it! Lovely!

Sonia ~ Nasi Lemak Lover said...

Look at the ingredients of the sauce, I know this is yummy!

Unknown said...

Sounds so yum, but I think I will just go and buy a bottle of sesame paste heheheh

tigerfish said...

I like sweet and tangy flavors of course, so I feel like trying this! But preparing the sesame paste is quite a chore leh! :O

Little Corner of Mine said...

Thanks for all your comments. :)

Tigerfish, better just go buy the sesame paste! I won't make the sesame paste again so I also bought a bottle. :D

daphne said...

I love my chicken so this is awesome Ching! Sesame is such versatile and what a healthy dish too. Will go well with my salad ;)

Noob Cook said...

loveeee sweet and tangy flavours :)

Babe_KL said...

I find smashing sesame using that Japanese goma-making bowl is way easier esp for smaller amount.

The bowl looks like this:
http://1.bp.blogspot.com/_2rUO_bdjzng/S-y8zlTc6CI/AAAAAAAAATE/yGAZLwIvtrE/s1600/bachikogi.jpg

Lisa @ Snappy Gourmet said...

Oh YUM this looks like my kind of dinner! Not sure the kids would eat it, but who cares! :)

Jessica said...

I tried this for dinner tonight and it is delicious!!! although I did not use cornflour to coat it but still is yummy. Next time will try it with cornflour.

Thank you so much for the recipe :)

Little Corner of Mine said...

You're so welcome Jessica, glad you liked it. And thank you for your feedback. :)