Monday, October 03, 2011

Mungbean Sprout MuChim/ SukJu MuChim


Another simple Korean banchan (side dish) that I liked.  When I started to make Korean food, I realized why their food are considered healthy.  They eat lots of banchan which were mainly vegetable either pickled or boiled and seasoned with mainly salt, sesame oil, sesame seeds, red pepper powder, minced garlic and light soy sauce.  As you know, garlic, sesame seeds, sesame oil, red pepper powder are all considered good for us, so I could see generally Korean food is healthier.  This recipe works well with spinach and soybean sprout too.  Just par-boiled the spinach and squeeze the water out before adding the seasonings, but omit the green onion.
 


Ingredients:

  • 1 big bowl of mungbean sprouts
  • 1 stalk of green onion, use only the green part, finely chopped
  • 2 cloves of garlic, minced
  • 1 tsp. sesame oil
  • 1/2 tsp. light soy sauce
  • 1/4 tsp. salt
  • 1 tsp. toasted sesame seeds

Method:

1.  Pluck off the root of the bean sprout.  Wash twice in water, drain.

2.  Place the bean sprouts in a saucepan, cover with water.  Close with lid and let it boil.  When boiling, turn the heat to low and let it simmer for 10 minutes.  After 10 minutes, pour the bean sprouts in a colander and run through cold water.  

3.  Place the drain bean sprouts in a glass bowl.  Add in green onion, minced garlic, salt, light soy sauce, sesame oil and toasted sesame seeds.  Toss and mix well with your hand.  Do a taste test to see if you need more salt, season according to your taste.

4.  Keep up to 2 days in the refrigerator.


13 comments:

tigerfish said...

I agree. SO easy...now it beats me why it is healthy and I almost never cook those Korean side-dishes? :O

Nava K said...

Simple, easy and delicious, I am going to try this out, thanks for sharing.

Belinda @zomppa said...

This is definitely one of those little dishes I love to munch on.

ChopinandMysaucepan said...

We love beansprouts and this looks so refreshing. Not sure if I have the patience to get all the tails off like you did. It looks beautiful!

Lady G said...

Are Mungbean sprouts different from ordinary beensprouts?

daphne said...

You are inspiring me with all these korean dishes! My hubby like this side the best (and the kim chi the least!)

Little Corner of Mine said...

Tigerfish, perhaps you gonna start soon? ;P

You're welcome Nava. Hope you like this simple dish.

Belinda :)

Thanks chopiandmysaucepan. For some reason, I love to pluck the tails off. :P

Hi Lady G. Mungbean sprout is the same as beansprout. Just that there is another variety in the Asian market which is soybean sprout which has a larger yellow head.

Haha Daphne, your hubby is just like me. I like kim chi the least that's why you won't see kim chi as one of the side dishes here. :D

Christine said...

This is great. My Korean mother just handed me a bag of soybean sprouts yesterday. Trying to get a recipe out of her is impossible! It's a handful of this and a splash of that. This will make it so much easier.

Juliana said...

Yes Ching, I love this dish, it is so simple and yet so delicious.
Hope you are having a great weel :-)

Cuisine Paradise said...

Simple and delicious!!! It look similar to our Chinese sti-fry beansprouts.

Purabi Naha said...

I have tasted this Korean side-dish in one of my favourite Korean restaurants here. Truly wonderful and not difficult to make at all! Thanks for the recipe!

Sonia ~ Nasi Lemak Lover said...

I like Korean side dish too, a lot of varieties and all very simple and yummy. It is so expensive taking Korean food outside, look like i need to start to prepare it at home. Thanks for sharing.

Ali said...

Such an easy and healthy dish, looks really delicious. Am inspired with all your Korean dishes!!!