Friday, April 20, 2007

Stir-fry Romaine Lettuce



This is what happen when I don't go shopping at Asian grocery store. I just have to buy the veggies at the supermarket that I go every week. I most probably end out with romaine letture, iceberg lettuce, broccoli, green beans, esparagus, collard greens, celery, cabbage, cauliflower or brussel sprouts. All these veggies I called them American veggies. I just couldn't bear to buy the napa cabbage because it is double/triple the price compared to Asian store. So, I usually buy American veggies. After few weeks of these American veggies, I seriously miss the Asian veggies like kailan, choy sum, baby bok choy, potato leaves, kangkong, flower chives, etc.

Anyway, here featuring one of my homecook veggie dishes:

Ingredients:

1 Romaine lettuce heart, washed and cut into 1 inch
1/4 cup dried shrimps, soaked in hot water to soften, drained
2-3 cloves of garlic, chopped
Some water, about 1/2 cup
Oyster Sauce to taste
Oil for stir-frying

Method:

Heat oil in a wok. When heated, add in the dried shrimps, stir-fry until fragrant and add the chopped garlic. Saute for awhile and add in the lettuce. Stir-fry well and add in the water. Add in the oyster sauce and stir to mix well. Dish out and serve hot.

Note:
1. Don't overcook this veggie! It's supposed to be crunchy and remain it's color.
2. Romaine lettuce heart usually sold as three in one ziplock package in the package salad green section.

6 comments:

said...

I like ur site! ur food is always so tempting and ur kids r soooooooo cute!!

Little Corner of Mine said...

Thanks psy00060. :)

Edith said...

Wow didn't know that romaine lettuce can be stir fry. How does it taste like. For me, I always thinks that "ang moh" veggies only eaten raw. :(

Little Corner of Mine said...

It tasted almost like the iceberg lettuce that people sell along side claypot rice. Those quickly blanced and serve with oyster sauce on top one.

This romaine lettuce also tasted very nice in steamboat. For the "ang moh" they eat it raw of course, but when this veggie comes into Asian hands, it can be cooked into a lot of ways. ;)

Anonymous said...

Hi Ching
Haha, I face the same problem too. Sometimes when I run out of ideas, I even just take whatever veg I can find and give it a quick stir-fry. Can't go too wrong with garlic, prawns and a little oyster sauce or fish sauce with a little sugar to taste.
If you are ever tired of the same old Asian stir-fry, try this quick and easy method to dress up asparagus --cut and prepare asparagus along with some sliced regular mushrooms, saute some garlic, add in the asparagus and mushrooms, and then add in some alfredo sauce. (Any brand, any type). Heat through and serve. A little ang moh in the method, but it actually goes pretty well with plain white rice. Have you also tried the spinach leaves (in packs in the salad section)which the ang mohs use for their salads? It's actually pretty good for asian stir-fries and simple vegetable soups. (Just add chicken stock and whatever you like into the soup -- salted egg yolk or even plain fried omelette -- kids love it)
Tatiana

Little Corner of Mine said...

Hi Tatiana,

Yes, I buy the spinach in the salad section to stir-fry also. It's so easy since it's already washed. What a great idea, next time will make soup with fried eggs and tofu. Thanks! :)