Saturday, August 17, 2013

Healthy Muffins


I always trying to make my muffin more nutritious.  I was not happy with just a plain banana muffin, I wanted it to be packed with superfood nutrients.  So, for this I added oats, flaxseeds, chia seeds, stone ground whole wheat flour and good oil, extra-virgin olive oil (you can use coconut oil too).  I also added chocolate chips (per my girls request) for my girls and dried cranberries for us.  Next time will also add some walnuts to kick it up a notch!  I made these muffins for our breakfast and it keeps well at room-temperature for up to three days.

These muffins are soft and moist and a delicious healthy muffin!  Try it and feedback to me ya!



Ingredients:

(A)
1 large cage free brown egg
2 thaw frozen bananas
1/4 cup extra-virgin olive oil or olive oil
1/4 cup organic whole milk
1/2 cup non-GMO pure cane sugar
1 tsp. pure vanilla extract

(B)
3/4 cup organic stone ground whole wheat flour
1/2 cup old fashion oats
1/4 tsp. sea salt
1/4 tsp. baking soda
1/2 tsp. baking powder
1 Tbsp. chia seeds
2 Tbsp. ground flaxseeds

Optional toppings:  
chocolate chips (for kids), dried cranberries, raisins, sunflower seeds, pumpkin seeds, walnuts, pecans, etc.

 Before baking

Method:

1.  In a large glass bowl, add in (A) according to list and whisk with a hand whisk after each addition.  

2.  Then, add in (B) all at once and whisk until combine.  

3.  Preheat oven to 350'F.  In the meantime, scoop batter into prepared muffin cups or paper cups lined muffin pan until 3/4 full.  Top with desired topping.

4.  Bake for 20-22 minutes, depending on the size of your muffin cups.  For mine (as shown above), it only yields 8 muffins and I baked it for 22 minutes.

5 comments:

Helen said...

The muffins look delicious! I love how you used health ingredients. =)

Noob Cook said...

the healthy touch is the way to go :)

tigerfish said...

Though I don't make muffins, I usually have the idea of trying to include as many superfood/ nutritious ingredients as possible in a single dish .

PH said...

Wow, these muffins are packed with goodness!

daphne said...

I wonder if I could make this low carb by using almond flour instead. I love the addition of chia seeds- I"m always looking for ways to use them.