Saturday, August 03, 2013

Blueberries Preserves without Pectin


I loved buying organic jam or preserves but it can be quite expensive as it ran out fast in my household.  So, the next alternative would be making my own blueberries preserves!  Organic blueberries/ blueberries are cheap during the summer but organic apple is not.  Luckily I can make do with just one apple for this recipe.  I don't use pectin in all my homemade jam and thus far it works pretty well for me.  This blueberries preserves recipe is very easy to make and don't take a lot of times.  It is a great way to preserve the blueberries besides frozen and save some money too, in addition, this homemade preserves is delicious!  I would freeze more blueberries to make this during the winter when the organic apple is cheaper. 



Ingredients:

2 dry pints (11oz each) blueberries (preferably organic)
Finely grated peel of 1 organic apple
2 cups pure cane sugar
2 Tbsp. bottled lemon juice

Method:

Soak and wash and rinse the blueberries.  Put it in a food processor and give it a few pulses or until it has broken out.  Pour into a large wide stainless steel pot.  Add cane sugar, lemon juice and grate the whole apple skin into the pot, stir.  Turn the heat to medium high and let it boil.  Keep stirring once in a while until jam reaches it's setting point or 220'F or about 15 minutes.  Do a plate test to see whether the jam is ready.

When ready, pour into prepared bottles, close lids and let cool at room temperature.  Refrigerate when cool.  I put it deep inside of the refrigerator.  It yields 3 bottles of  blueberries preserves for me.  You can also can the preserves by using the canning process and keep it at a dark, cool place for up to a year.

7 comments:

tigerfish said...

True. I have not bought apples for a long time cos they are not in season. What does apple skin do to the jam?

ivy sew http://simplybeautifulhealthyliving.blogspot.com said...

Blueberries jam.. yummy :)

Little Corner of Mine said...

Tigerfish,
Apple and lemon have the natural pectin, help to set the jam.

Noob Cook said...

love all-natural food sans artificial preservatives :)

daphne said...

Nothing beats home made jam Ching! I can see this on pancakes, bread..etc.. drooling!

Sonia ~ Nasi Lemak Lover said...

This is good and healthy!

PH said...

I love blueberry jam! But can't afford the organic ones :( The fresh ones here aren't cheap either.