Monday, October 22, 2012

Crispy Pumpkin Cookies


Yeah!  I did it!  I managed to create a crispy pumpkin cookies!!!  Two years ago, I tried my hand on soft pumpkin cookies which I didn't really like as I preferred my cookies to be crisp and tasted like cookies instead of cake.  I told myself that I was going to experiment and come out with a crispy cookie recipe but never really gotten to do it.  So, this year I took on the challenge and happy to announce that I created a delicious crispy pumpkin cookies that we all liked and easy to make.

As you know, my recipe got to be easy to whip up.  And this recipe only required a hand whisk!!  What a plus right for busy mom or for someone who just want to make cookies fast with minimally washing required.  I added the dried cranberries just because I have about 1/2 cup left and I wanted to finish it.  You can omit it or use raisins or chocolate chips, it's up to you!


Your house will smell like pumpkin and spices when you bake these cookies.  My girls totally loved this and said it tasted like pumpkin.  I think the cinnamon and cloves paired really well to bring up the full flavor of this cookie.  Warning:  It is hard to resist, so self-control needed in eating these cookies!



If you made this and published it in your blog or website, please kindly link back to my original recipe.  Thank you!

Ingredients:

Wet:
  • 1/2 cup canola oil (or any kind of oil)
  • 1 cup granulated cane sugar
  • 1 tsp. vanilla extract
  • 1/2 cup pumpkin puree

Dry:
  • 1/2 tsp. cinnamon powder
  • 1/4 tsp. ground cloves
  • 1/2 tsp. sea salt
  • 1/2 tsp. baking soda
  • 1 1/4 tsp. baking powder
  • 2 1/2 cup unbleached all-purpose flour
Add:
1/2 cup dried cranberries or raisins or chocolate chips (I used dried cranberries here), or optional


Method:

1.  In a large Pyrex bowl,  add in the wet ingredients as listed, hand whisk after each addition.  Whisk until smooth.

2.  Add in the dry ingredients as listed.  Whisk after each addition.  For the flour, just whisk until it can handle and then add the dried cranberries or raisins (if use) and switch to hand kneading.  Knead until a soft dough is formed.

3.  Preheat the oven to 350'F.  Prepare 4 lined baking pans with parchment papers.

4.  Pinch some of the dough and roll into ball.  Place on the parchment paper 2 inches apart and finish the rest.   

5.  Bake for 15-18 minutes or until slightly brown.  A little on the soft side when you took it out of the oven but will crisp up once it's cooled.  Cool on wire rack completely before storing into a container.  Will harden a little once it's completely cooled down.  A little softer on day 3 onwards and stay that way, taste like eating a cookie and not soft and cakey at all (I have it for almost a week).

~This recipe yields about 62 cookies for me as size shown above.  More or less depending on the size of your cookies and be sure to adjust the cooking time as needed for the size of your cookies.  Mine is about the size of a quarter coin.




20 comments:

Yum Girl said...

I like crispy cookies the best...not to mention that adorable little mummy. :) If I may, I’d like to invite you to submit your photos to the new YumGoggle, a photo sharing site with the philosophy that if you worked hard to cook it and photograph it, we should show it off! Hope to see you there soon!
http://www.yumgoggle.com/gallery/

daphne said...

they look so cute! I won't be able to stop at one. I have never used pumpkin in cookies before! I will keep this in mind the next time i have some pumpkin on hand.

Dumpling Love said...

mmm...very interesting! I'll have to try it one day. Love how your cookies don't use butter =)

WokandSpoon said...

These look really nice! I'm too lazy to cut pumpkins though.

Anonymous said...

Hi, I just tried your recipe but made in smaller balls, my family like them much. Thanks. Btw, I have been using your chiffon cake recipe for many times, yours is the most successful one! Tq for all the good recipes. Sue

Little Corner of Mine said...

Make sure you do Daphne, pumpkin cookie is delicious.

Feedback to me when you tried it Dumpling Love.

WokandSpoon, use the canned pumpkin puree lah! They have organic pumpkin puree too. This is supposed to be an easy cookie recipe. ;)

You are so welcome Sue and so glad that your family liked these cookies. And appreciate you taking the time to feedback to me. :) I probably make this as Christmas gift too.
P/s Happy that my chiffon cake recipe worked for you. :)

Anonymous said...

Thanks, I also used the left over pumpkin (red kuri squash) for dessert, followed your recipe cooked with tapioca. It is easy and tasty. I will browse your blog more often for inspiration. Also, I find your measurements suit me as we cups and oz. Btw, just curious which part of the states you are in. I'm in CA. Sue

Little Corner of Mine said...

Hi Sue, I'm in CO. :) Glad you liked the pumpkin with tapioca dessert!

Lose Your Belly.com said...

Oh thanks so much, my pumpkin cookies are always softer than we would care for, can't wait to try yours.

Juliana said...

Oh! These crispy pumpkin cookies sound and looks good...I would love to have a jar filled with it :)
Thanks for the recipe and hope you are having a wonderful week!

Anonymous said...

what if i don't have any clove? would it only affect the taste?

Little Corner of Mine said...

Yes anon, it should only affect the taste slightly.

Anonymous said...

Hi.. Would like to know can you advice on the imperial measurement...!

Little Corner of Mine said...

Anon, I have a conversions table links on the right panel of my blog. Look through it to see if it helps, or google it.

Anonymous said...

I don't like soft, cakey cookies - and I'm always drawn to cookies made with oil - so I just had to try this recipe. The cookies are delicious! I used maple extract instead of vanilla and 1/4 cup each of toasted walnuts and candied ginger. I made mine bigger so I only got 30 cookies. They not only taste good, they look good too. I will definitely make these again and again. Thanks!

Little Corner of Mine said...

Rosalie, thank you for the feedback and tried out my recipe. So glad that you liked it too. :)

Sabrina Robinson said...

Just finishing up the last batch of these and enjoying the first few. Delicious! Just what I was looking for to dip in some tea.

Little Corner of Mine said...

Hi Sabrina, thank you for taking the time to feedback to me. :) I am so happy that you liked this cookie, that's the joy of sharing the recipe. :)

Anonymous said...

I just made these. But with pecan nuts. Very nice! Even warm just out of the oven. They indeed crisp up very nicely with a soft cookie structure inside. Also cheaper and healthier because of the absence of butter. Downside: they disappear to quickly! Thanks!

Little Corner of Mine said...

Haha! Thanks for taking the time to write me a feedback Anon. So glad you liked this recipe! :)