Wednesday, October 27, 2010

Soft Pumpkin Cookies


What can represent Fall season more than pumpkin?  I just want to make something with pumpkin this time of the year.  I saw this pumpkin cookies recipe on joyofbaking Website and decided to give it a try.  The reason was simple because I never make it before.  This cookie is just like what it stated, soft and cake like in texture.  I certainly would prefer a more chewy one or crispy one.  I used sugar instead of brown sugar as stated in the original recipe, I wonder perhaps it might caused my cookies to be none chewy.  I also omitted the cream cheese frosting.  Anyway, my girls loved it nonetheless so I was glad.  Evy will bring this as her school snack.

As for me, I would love to play and experiment with this recipe some more, as I wanted a crispy pumpkin cookies instead of soft and cake like.  It's like eating a tiny piece of cake on the next day.







Recipe adapted from Joy of Baking.

Ingredients:


(A)
  • 2 cups (260 grams) all purpose flour
  • 1 1/4 teaspoons baking powder
  • 1 teaspoon baking soda
  • 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
  • 1/4 teaspoons ground ginger
  • 1/8 teaspoon ground cloves (I omitted this)
  • 1/2 teaspoon salt

(B)
  • 2 large eggs, room temperature
  • 1 1/4 cups (260 grams) light brown sugar (I used sugar instead of brown)
  • 1/2 cup (120 ml) canola oil or corn oil (or other flavorless oil)
  • 1 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
  • 1 cup (215 grams) canned pumpkin puree

Method:
1.  In a bowl, sift together (A).

2.  Use a electric hand mixer or stand mixer and beat together eggs and sugar until light and smooth.  Add in the rest of the (B) ingredients, beat until blended.

3.  Add in sifted (A) and beat until combined.

4.  Use a cookie scoop and scoop into a parchment lined baking sheets.  Bake in preheated 325'F oven for 15-18 minutes.   Move to cool completely on wire rack before storing.

12 comments:

Anonymous said...

Your cookies look wonderful! But it's so hard to find canned pumpkin puree in this side of the world(Indonesia). :(

Belinda @zomppa said...

I gotta say having a little piece of cake sounds pretty darn good to me.

Food For Tots said...

I haven't never tasted pumpkin cookies before. Must be full of natural sweetness and nutritious!

tigerfish said...

For me, I can eat any cookies - soft or crispy, with coffee and/or milk. :)

Baking Fiend said...

I have a confession to make.... i've never baked anything with pumpkin before! These cookies looks great but like you, i prefer cripsy and chewy ones.

Babe_KL said...

I love pumpkin but the thing is my hubby doesnt like pumpkin or soft cookies :(

Bakericious said...

There are so many pumpkin bakes around, I have not eaten pumpkin cookies b4 :P

pigpigscorner said...

So it's like mini cakes! I like chewy cookies too.

Little Corner of Mine said...

Crustabakes, you can use the fresh pumpkin, bake until soft and mash to use.

Belinda, pretty darn good actually. My girls couldn't get enough of it and it's all gone.

F4T, I tasted one that my hubby brought back from his office, soft and slightly chewy but awfully sweet.

Haha tigerfish, I like soft and chewy cookies and not really soft and cake like cookie. :P

Baking Fiend, I recommend pumpkin cake, I have a recipe coming up, you got to try it.

Babe, I don't like pumpkin before, perhaps I tasted the not so tasty pumpkin pie and associated pumpkin to be yucky. But now I changed my mind, I love the pumpkin cake and pumpkin in stir-fry (recipe coming up).

Jess, hehehe... very fragrant actually because it's well spiced.

Yes pigpigs, like mini cake.

Imwaytoobusy said...

These look (and sound)delicious! I can't wait to try them out.

Anonymous said...

I bake the cookies today, and they were very delicious. I used brown sugar, and it makes them More chewy I find. A few estra minutes in the oven and they came out semi toasted on the sides and soft on the inside XD At crustabakes, instead of using canned pumpkin, buy any Type of squash, and cut in pieces and either bake it or steam it until cooked. Once cooked take the meat of and puree! I like to place in a fine clothes after to further remove water from it, so that I have a firm paste.

Little Corner of Mine said...

Thanks Anon for your feedback, next time I would use brown sugar for sure. My girls loved this cookie.