Frankly, I hardly buy any Asian gourd or melon. But since I am trying to eat healthier, I also want to explore into unfamiliar Asian vegetable. Asian melon and gourd are one of them. For me, stir-frying it with eggs or make soup with it should be a very safe approach because my mom did that. But I was out of drumsticks and we had eggs for lunch, so I needed to think of another approach. Hence, this was created. Later, when I did a search on this, I found out that it was actually very common in Indian cuisine. Perhaps next time I can try cooking it with Indian spices and recipe. Indian version is more mushy while this stir-fried version has a bite to it.
Bottle gourd has lots of benefits, one of them is low in fat and calories while high in dietary fiber. Also said to treat urinary tract infection, balancing liver function, treatment for blood pressure and heart disease and more. You can read more about the benefits here.
- 1 bottle gourd, washed, peeled and seeded
- 1/2 chicken breast, cut into small pieces and minced
- 3 cloves of garlic, minced
- Fish sauce, to suit
- 1/2 tsp. sugar
1. Cut the bottle gourd into thin slices.
2. Season the minced chicken with salt, white pepper and rice wine.
3. Heat up your wok. When heated, add in cooking oil of your choice. When hot, add in the minced garlic and minced chicken. Stir-fry until chicken is no longer pink.
4. Add in bottle gourd. Stir-fry until it's soften and changes in color.
5. Season with fish sauce and sugar. Mix well and serve hot.