Sunday, April 22, 2012

Healthy Rice (Black, Brown, Barley and Millet)


I was cooking barley brown rice for my family for a while now.  And then I read that black rice is also good for us, including all the black things like black bean, black woodear and black sesame seeds.  I also bought some millet because of the health benefits that I read.  So, I decided to mix all these grains together.  Chinese believed that barley can aids in beauty like have beautiful skin, reduce heatiness and detoxification, black rice aids kidney, bright eyes and millet aids stomach, etc.

I also read that not everyone can eat millet especially for those that have hypothyroidism or problem with thyroid.  Since I had it before, I definitely watching what I eat.  I would probably use the rest of the millet to make bread or buns instead.  Small quantity is fine, just not everyday.

Now I am alternating barley brown rice, turmeric garlic brown rice, sweet potato brown rice and black brown rice for our meals.  You can find the recipes under Rice.





Ingredients:

  • 1 1/2 cup brown rice
  • 1/2 cup barley
  • 3 Tbsp. black rice
  • 3 Tbsp. millet
  • Water according to your rice cooker.  Mine is double of the white rice level at 4.

Method:

Rinse until the water is clear.  You can set the timer to cook 2 hours later.  Or soak brown rice, barley and black rice for 2 hours, add millet and cook in the rice cooker. 

15 comments:

Janine said...

my family eats brown and red rice together with millet sometimes, but i've never tried it with barley! definitely including it in the next meal :)

Miss Hangrypants said...

Hi! I guess this is my first time commenting! I'm glad you finally posted after a long time. I really enjoy your blog.

I always try to eat a healthy mix of rice. I use a bag of 7 grain rice that many Korean stores carry. It also contains black sweet rice, brown sweet rice, purple sticky rice, black eyed peas and kidney beans!

I love adding an assortment of beans, even chickpeas into my rice.

I'm half Cantonese and Korean. But I mostly do korean. Since your blog, I think I'll try to cook more chinese food!

Thanks!
Mabel
mdcooksfor2.blogspot.com

Sonia ~ Nasi Lemak Lover said...

you family is lucky to have you, everytime you prepare so healthy food for them.

Belinda @zomppa said...

They all sound great! So much healthier than white rice...that garlic turmeric....

tigerfish said...

I usually use a mix of grains and seeds for porridge cos it is easier to control the water ratio. My current favorite is barley, brown rice, millet and sometimes quinoa.

I did not know that millet may cause problems in thyroid. Hmmm....so far I don't eat this combination porridge everyday, at most twice per week. I think should be ok bah! :O

Juliana said...

Great idea of mixing different grains...much healthier than the plain white rice ;-)
Have a great week!

Noob Cook said...

I need to learn from you - to eat healthier rice grains for dinner. So far we are eating purely white rice.

WokandSpoon said...

Such a healthy mix. Though it's weird to see brown rice in a chinese rice bowl - hehe, I'm used to seeing only white rice in it ;-)

Unknown said...

very nice! here they actually sell in a pack, a few grains mixed already... we've switched back to white rice since OB's eating with us, but i will try to introduce more grains slowly

Stephanie said...

I think it's a good idea to eat a mix of different grains. I didn't know that not everyone can eat millet!

Food For Tots said...

I always add millets to rice and porridge. We also eats 5-grain rice now. Interesting to learn so many types of brown rice. Can't fin them here.

rick vancleave said...

Love the idea of mixing the grains. Thanks for sharing

Beachlover said...

wow!! you really are Korean now!! lol!! ancient Korean eat millet bcos it's cheaper than rice!! my daughter even complaint brown rice doesn't taste good...must salut your daughters willing to eat this type of grains!!

Little Corner of Mine said...

Hi Janine, I love barley with rice and hope you like it too. :)

Welcome Mabel! I am happy to hear that you enjoyed my blog. :) Adding beans into rice sound fantastic, but since I am doing meatless meals, I would add beans as a separate dish. I am still getting my girls to get use to the idea of going meatless.

Thanks Sonia. It's not only for them but for me too. :)

I agreed Belinda.

Tigerfish, I didn't know too until I starting to read more about millet. Moderation is key I guess even though for something that we called healthy food such as garlic and ginger.

Thanks Juliana.

Noobcook, you can switch slowly, starting by adding brown rice one a week and increase it slowly, to get them to get use to it.

Hahaha wokandspoon. Mine not only brown rice but also all sort of colors. :P

Rita, yup slowly make the change.

Stephanie, I didn't know too until I read about it. You can do a search online and read about it too.

F4T, that's good. :)

You're welcome Rick.

No lah, I am not Korean, this is just my version of adding different grains into my brown rice. My daughters don't have a choice, they either eat healthy food with me or have nothing to eat. I am training them to get use to eating healthy food so that they can make better choice next time.

Ameen Khatri said...

Easily, the article is actually the best topic on this registry related issue. I fit in with your conclusions and will eagerly look forward to your next updates. Best basmati rice in dubai