Tuesday, January 10, 2012

Taro Chips


When I saw this recipe posted at Simple Recipes, I just had to try it.  I love taro and heart taro chips, so her easy instruction of making taro chips got me interested.  She has some step-by-step pictures at her blog (link provided below), so you can hop over to have a look.

This taro chip is crispy yet a bit hard.  It's like the other fruit and veggie chips that we bought.  I thought this would make an excellent Chinese New Year snack too.  It must be good as my hubby finished the whole thing and left me with an empty bottle!! 


I adapted the recipe from Simple Recipes.  Thanks Juliana!

Ingredients:

  • Fresh taro, usually sold vacuum sealed and peeled
  • Extra virgin olive oil, as needed
  • Salt to taste
  • Black pepper to taste

Method:

Thinly slice the taro, place in a bowl.  Season to taste with olive oil, salt and pepper, use your hands to mix it well.  Then, arrange single pile on a parchment lined baking pan.  It will bake slower if use slipat or silicon lining.   Then bake at 300'F for about 20 minutes.  Keep checking the oven to see if it's curl up and crispy looking.  Her instruction said to flip side after 10 minutes but I didn't bother to do so.

17 comments:

Sonia ~ Nasi Lemak Lover said...

I just saw a similar recipe but that recipe is deep fry method. If I got time, maybe I will make some.

daphne said...

It's baked too!!! Healthy- does that mean you probably can't cook too big a batch if not it goes soft?

Unknown said...

wawww easy and yummy! i wonder if this would be nice deep fried using air fryer (i want this - next kitchen gadget target)

tigerfish said...

I like that this is baked and not fried. Not so for health reasons but it is definitely easier to bake than fry. ;p

Shannon | Just As Delish said...

These look so delicious and I'm sure they are addictive as well! thanks for sharing, going to get my hands on some taro

Retno Prihadana said...

yummy crunchy....kriuk...kriuk, love it :)

Little Corner of Mine said...

Sonia, certainly can choose to deep-fry too.

Daphne, once it's baked, it won't turn soft. But just make sure you single layer it so that it won't overlap and bake evenly.

Rita, should be ok to use.

Haha Tigerfish, yeah at least the house won't smell and won't need to stand in front of the wok. :)

You're welcome Shannon. Yup, it's addictive that's why my hubby finished the whole thing!

Thanks Retno.

Unknown said...

This is right up my alley! I love the fact that they are baked. Must try.

Quay Po Cooks said...

I am with tigerfish, I prefer bake to fry. The chips looks pretty.

Juliana said...

I am glad that you were able to make this chips...and knowing that was well accepted :-)
Hope you are having a wonderful week Ching.

Cuisine Paradise said...

Gosh!!! Baked Chips sounds great which I am sure is fuss by and healthier :) Must go grab some taro and try this out :)

Noob Cook said...

looks great!! definitely a great snack for CNY!

Wendy said...

Wow, I cannot wait to try this. I do not have the lining. Should I adjust the temperature down and/or shorter period of time? Thanks.

pigpigscorner said...

This is definitely much healthier than the deep fried ones!

Little Corner of Mine said...

Hope you like it Hyosun. :)

Thanks quay po.

Thank you again for sharing the recipe Juliana. :) Hope you have a great weekends too!

Ellena, it sure sound healthy. :D

Thanks noobcook.

Wendy, just use parchment paper would do, perhaps check it at shorter period, just to make sure it doesn't burn.

I think so, pigpigs.

beti said...

I ate them one in a bag of exotic chips! I can't wait to make them, they seem pretty easy

Unknown said...

Very Cool.