Tuesday, January 17, 2012

LCOM's Pizzelle (Chocolate Orange Pizzelle)


My only new cookie for this year, 2012.  By all means, this is not the usual pizzelle cookies, but just a cookie I created that uses a pizzelle press to make.  I was not as impressed with my previous recipe because I thought the rice flour taste was too strong.  Hence, in this recipe, I reduced the rice flour and replaced it with all-purpose flour, added cocoa powder and orange extract and made it into a Chocolate Orange flavored pizzelle.  I loved the pairing of chocolate and orange and this pizzelle remains crispy once baked.


Perhaps the color was not as appetizing (since I used specially dark cocoa powder) but I do love the taste of orange and cocoa powder.  I managed to get rid of the rice flour taste too.





Ingredients:

  • 250g granulated cane sugar
  • 200ml coconut milk
  • 3 large eggs
  • 1.5 tsp. pure orange extract

(A)
  • 125g all-purpose flour
  • 100g rice flour
  • 60g cornflour
  • 25g cocoa powder

  • Zest of 1 orange  (optional)

Method:

1.  In a large bowl, add coconut milk and sugar, whisk until sugar melted.  Add eggs and orange extract, whisk well.

2.  Sift (A) into another bowl.  Pour 1/3 into the liquid mixture, whisk well.  Pour another 1/3 and whisk well and finish with the last 1/3 of the flours mixture, whisk well.  Add orange zest if used.

3.  Heat up your pizzelle press (I used a Cuisinart Pizzelle press and turn to number 4).  Brush with oil.  Pour 1 Tbsp. of the batter in the center of the mold and cover.  Let it cook (wait until the red light turns to green light), or depending on your pizzelle maker.   Take it out and lay flat to harden.  You can also roll it when hot if you like.


12 comments:

Juliana said...

I like pizzelle, but never made them and do not have a pizzelle press...love the combination of chocolate and orange. Looks delicious.
Have a great week ahead :-)

Rachel said...

What a beautiful cookie :!!!

S.V. said...

They are so pretty... I have never seen one in chocolate. Sounds delicious.

Anh said...

Oh yum! I don't have the equipment and quite curious about the taste!

Noob Cook said...

very creative, a great snack for CNY!

Nava K said...

I don't see anything wrong with the color, I mean if chocs are added in, thats how its suppose to look. Lovely combo of orange flavor into this thin and crispy cookie as I would call it.

Food For Tots said...

The pairing of chocolate and orange sounds great to me! Look like our Kuih Kapit! So yummy! 祝你龙年快乐!龙马精神!

Little Corner of Mine said...

Thanks Juliana. You can invest in a pizzelle press, not a bad investment for me. :)

Thank you Rachel. :)

Thank you S.V. :)

Thanks Anh. :)

Thanks noobcook, yeah a great CNY snack.

You were right Nava. I mentioned it because it is for CNY and this cookie is black color, oh well. :P

Thanks loveforfood.

Thanks F4T, since I can't make kuih kapit here, this is my substitute version, but different.

daphne said...

You always come up with interesting cookie recipes11 I would love to bite into them!

My Asian Kitchen said...

pizzelle another version of kuih kapit!! viola!! Gong Xi Fa Cai to you and family!!

Anonymous said...

love choc orange pizzelle. any idea if can make these without pizzelle press?

Little Corner of Mine said...

Thanks Daphne! :)

Yeah Les, a slightly thicker version of kuih kapit. :D Happy CNY to you too!

Sorry anon, can't do it without the pizzelle press.