Thursday, January 05, 2012

Korean Seasoned Spinach (Shigumchi Namul)


My version of Korean seasoned spinach.  A common banchan served with Korean meal or in restaurants.  I wanted to keep the original color yet well seasoned, no soy sauce in this.  Next time I would prepare two bunches of spinach so that I would have some leftover for vegetarian bibimbap the next day.  One bunch doesn't make a lot and if you want some leftover, make more.

I feel healthy by eating Korean vegetarian banchan, either the pickled one or seasoned one.  Does anyone knows how long I can keep this seasoned spinach in the refrigerator? 



Ingredients:

  • 1 bunch of Chinese spinach or spinach, cut off root and wash twice
  • 1 clove of garlic, minced
  • 1 scallion, tiny chopped
  • 1/2 tsp. chicken powder
  • 1/4 tsp. iodized salt or to taste (I don't eat salty food)
  • 1/2 Tbsp. sesame oil
  • 1/2 Tbsp. toasted sesame seeds
  • Dashes of white pepper

Method:

1.  In a large saucepan,  add in water and let it boil.  When boiling, quickly blanch the spinach in batches.  Take it out and put in cold water.

2.  Then, squeeze the spinach dry in batches.  Put in a bowl.

3.  Add the garlic, scallion and seasonings and mix well with your hand.  Serve immediately or later.  Refrigerate any leftover.


8 comments:

Cut `n Clean Greens said...

That looks fantastic! We'd like to feature it on our Facebook page and tell others to come visit your blog to see the recipe! Come "like" us on Facebook if you wish at https://www.facebook.com/Cut.n.Clean.Greens. We seriously love spinach (since we grow it). :)

--The friendly farmers at Cut `n Clean Greens

Belinda @zomppa said...

Looks like what I want for my veggie tonight!

Anh said...

you have been on a "Korean food" kick lately :)

tigerfish said...

Oh yes, spinach significantly reduces in volume after being cooked. What a great idea to have leftover for vegggie bibimbap.

Sherleen.T said...

i like eating Korean food because got a lot of veges...your seasoned spinach looks so great to me...thanks for sharing ^^

Unknown said...

I <3 spinach namul. It's probably my all time favorite namul! :)

Little Corner of Mine said...

Hi friendly farmers, you are welcome to share this recipe in your Facebook page. :)

Good for you Belinda! :)

Haha Anh, you are absolutely right! Won't be stopping soon. :P

Yes Tigerfish, I love vegetarian bibimbap for lunch. :)

You are welcome Sherleen!

Tammy :) I also like mungbean namul.

Chopinand @ ChopinandMysaucepan said...

This spinach looks delicious and I can always eat copious amounts of banchan at Korean restaurants.

Have a great 2012!