You can also buy sardine packed in water or olive oil. I just preferred it packed in tomato sauce, tastier to me. Anyway, for this recipe I recommended one packed in tomato sauce as the flavor goes well with the chili sauce. If you don't have chili sauce, you can substitute it with ketchup. This is definitely one bowl of healthy and nutrients packed brown rice! Hope you enjoy this as much as we did.
- 2 (3.75oz) Chicken of the Sea sardines in tomato sauce (or any brand)
- 3 Tbsp. Maggi hot chili sauce
- 2 large eggs, season with iodized salt, pepper, garlic powder and dried parsley, beaten to mix, set aside
- 6 cups cooked brown rice
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1/2 yellow onion, chopped
- 1 cup of frozen mixed vegetable
- 1 Tbsp. toasted sesame seeds (optional)
- 1 tsp. cane sugar
- Iodized salt and black pepper to taste
1. In a heated wok, add cooking oil of your choice. When hot but not smoking, add in beaten eggs. Stir-fry and break out the omelet in pieces, dish out and set aside.
2. In the same wok, add a little more oil. Add in chopped onion and garlic. Stir-fry well. Add in frozen mixed vegetable, stir-fry well. Add in brown rice, break it out and stir-fry well.
3. Add in sardine together with the tomato sauce and fried eggs. Break out the sardine (so that my girls would eat it) and stir-fry well. Season with hot chili sauce, cane sugar, pepper and iodized salt. Stir and blend well. Serve on individual bowls.
4. Lastly, garnish each bowl with toasted sesame seeds. Serve hot!