I want to wish all the dads a "Happy Father's Day" especially my dad. Dad, I love you and may you have a wonderful time on Father's Day.
We are going to celebrate Father's Day with a bunch of friends (dads) tonight so I made this simple and yet yummy cake to bring along. I made this cake before on Edda's first birthday and really liked how soft the cake was. Instead of cream or frosting, I chose glaze instead since in my mind it was healthier. :-P
This recipe made two round pans cake. My girls wanted to put sprinkles on the cake and I obliged, I thought it would make the cake more colorful. Instead of chopped walnuts, I used peanuts instead. My girls loved this cake as they couldn't wait to taste one of the cakes and requested I make this on their birthday for them.
Adapted from Pusiva's Moist Chocolate Cake with minor changes.
- 1 1/4 cup cake flour
- 1/4 cup specially dark cocoa powder
- 3/4 tsp. baking powder
- 3/4 tsp. baking soda
- 2 Tbsp. hot water
- 1 tsp. instant coffee granules
- 1 cup sugar
- 2/3 cup butter
- 2 large eggs
- 1 tsp. Irish cream liqueur
- 3/4 cup water
1. Sift together flour cocoa powder, baking powder and baking soda in a bowl, set aside.
2. Dissolved coffee granules in hot water, set aside.
3. Beat butter and sugar with an electric beater until light and fluffy. Add eggs one at a time. Beat well. Add in coffee and Irish cream liqueur, beat well. With a spatula, gently fold in the flour mixture alternating with water. Start and end with the flour mixture.
4. Pour and divided the batter into two greased and flour round pans. Bake in preheated 350'F oven for 25 minutes or until toothpick inserted comes out clean.
5. Cool completely on wire rack. Spread with chocolate glaze and top with chopped nuts, sprinkles, chocolate chips if desired.
3/4 cup semisweet chocolate chips
3 Tbsp. butter
1 Tbsp. honey
1 tsp. Irish cream liqueur
Add all ingredients in a microwave safe Pyrex bowl and microwave for 45 seconds, stir and mix well until spreading consistency. If needed, add 15 seconds intervals until spreading consistency. Spread on cooled cake. Spread on slightly warm cake is okay too.