Saturday, November 06, 2010

Stir fried Spicy Cabbage


I always stir-fry my green cabbage in a non-spicy way.  Stir-frying it in a spicy way never cross my mind until I saw the Chinese cooking show where the chef cooked it with some dried chili.  It gave me the idea of trying something new.  This is a new dish for me and we liked it!  I will certainly make this version more from now on.

I realized that the green cabbage sold in the Asian market is easier to stir-fry than the green cabbage I bought at the American supermarket.  The one at the American supermarket is tougher and harder even after the longer time I spent stir-frying it.  Definitely prefer the texture of the green cabbage I bought at the Asian market, not to say cheaper too.







Ingredients:

  • 1/4 of one green cabbage, sliced
  • A little diced carrot for color (optional)
  • 2 cloves of garlic, minced
  • 2 Tbsp. of black bean in chili oil
  • Salt and sugar to taste

Method:

1.  Heat up your wok.  When heated, add in a little cooking oil.  When hot, add in minced garlic and black bean in chili oil and stir-fry until fragrant.  

2.  Add in cabbage and stir-fry until soft.  Add in diced carrot (if used).  Stir-fry well and season to taste with a little salt and sugar.  Serve hot!

13 comments:

Belinda @zomppa said...

I like it spicy!!

Food For Tots said...

I never try stir-fry cabbage the spicy way too. Maybe it's time to have a change. Thanks for the great idea! ;)

mr. pineapple man said...

i love stir fries!

tigerfish said...

Actually, there are 2 types of round cabbage in the Western supermarket. One is green cabbage and another is savoy cabbage. If you bought the savoy cabbage, then yes, it is harder to soften in a stir-fry. But if you got the green round cabbage, then I think it is the same. I usually buy cabbage from the American supermarket, hee heee and not much trouble cooking them. :)

So in sync! I just posted my "stir-fried" cabbage too!

pigpigscorner said...

I "try" to put chili in everything =P

Quay Po Cooks said...

Yes, spicy cabbage taste delicious. They are tasty in curry too:D I am so glad to find another Malaysian foodie friend.

Quay Po Cooks said...

Oh, you two girls are so pretty and adorable!

Unknown said...

oh i love spicy stir fries...i often add chillies to mine

Little Corner of Mine said...

Me too Belinda. :)

F4T, yes try it!

Tigerfish, maybe one of those times I bought the savoy cabbage?

Haha pigpigs, I used to do that. But having kids can change that habit for some reasons. :D

Thanks for your compliment on my girls Quay Po. I loved cabbage in curry too. ;)

Rita, wait til your son join your dinner table, then it probably change just like me. Haha...

High Plains Drifters said...

Love stir fried cabbage as a sidenote ... never thought about giving it center-stage. Thanks and cheers!

Bakericious said...

I love stir fry cabbage, spicy will be added bonus!

Babe_KL said...

Hmm just like you, it never came across my mine to make spicy cabbage stir fry. I wonder why?

daphne said...

another vege stir try! I always just stir fry cabbage with garlic and some margarine.. now i know!!! thanks for sharing! and the addition of black bean sauce too good- i can use up my sauces!