As you know, I just bought a waffle maker. With the new toy, of course I got to create healthy recipe to serve my girls. I have a bag of instant oatmeal that no one wants to eat. So, making waffle is the way to go as I don't like to waste food. Again, I am making this sweeter as I am going to serve it plain and as a to-go breakfast. After I added the flour and instant oatmeal, the batter was a bit watery so in some whole wheat flour. I also wanted to incorporate some fruit into my girls breakfast, so I thought of dried cranberries. I can say one piece of this waffle is pretty healthy because it has oatmeal, whole wheat flour, milk, dried cranberries, honey and eggs into the mix. What's best is it is homemade! When I was done with the waffles of course it was the taste test time. Quickly gathered my girls and asked them to try. My girls loved it! Great news for me as this is way healthier than the basic waffle.
This wheat oatmeal waffles actually crispy on the outside and soft and fluffy on the inside when still warm. Just remember to cook it until brown. This recipe is for those who prefer healthier recipe and with adaptable taste.
- 2 large eggs
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- 1 cup instant oatmeal/ quick-cooking oats
- 1/2 cup whole wheat flour
- 4 tsp. baking powder
- 1/2 tsp. ground cinnamon
- 1/4 tsp. salt
- 4 Tbsp. brown sugar
- 2 Tbsp. honey
- 1 3/4 cup 1 % milk
- 1/2 cup canola oil
1. In a big bowl, hand whisk the two eggs until fluffy. Add in the rest of the ingredients except dried cranberries and hand whisk until all is blended. Set aside.
2. Preheat your waffle maker. When preheated, spray with buttery non-stick spray and scoop some of the batter onto the waffle iron. Spread some dried cranberries on top. Then, cover the top and side with more batter. Cover and cook until brown. For mine is about 6 minutes. Exact time depends on your waffle maker.
3. Take it out with a spatula and chopstick and serve hot.
Or cool on wire rack and put in a zip lock bag and freeze for future use. Toast in a toaster to heat it up.